Chapter 34 - Argument in the Garden

Kastali Dun

Claire kept her hand hooked around the crook of King Talon's elbow. She tried to ignore her emotions. Before today, she and King Talon had never physically touched. Even when he had tried to kill her, it was his dagger blade that had kissed her neck, nothing more. Now she tucked her hand around his arm.

The royal garden—which sat within the courtyard of the keep's lowest level—was a vast network of stone pathways. These pathways weaved through exotic flower beds, blooming shrubberies, and trees. Today the garden was empty; all those living within the keep were still gathered in the entrance courtyard. As King Talon guided them, several minutes passed quietly, amplifying the sounds of the garden. Branches rustled in the breeze, bugs chirruped, birds fluttered about in song. It was a magical place whose quiet Claire usually enjoyed; this time, the quiet was becoming too much.

She wished King Talon would say something—anything that might explain why they were here. Perhaps he had brought her here to apologize. The idea left her hopeful. She wished that he would. After all, she wanted to repair their relationship and work together on good terms. In order to move on, she needed to know that he was sorry. She couldn't simply forget the way he had mistreated her—not without closure. She stole a glance at him. His silver, brooding eyes were focused on the path ahead. From the passive expression he wore, there was no telling what his mood was.

The silence continued as they moved deeper into the garden. Claire could have asked King Talon about his journey, or about how things had gone in Lincastle, but she refused to make his job any easier. Instead, she held her tongue. It took some time, but when he did finally speak, she was hardly prepared for his words. "Your gown is...beautiful." As he said it, he glanced down at her before turning away.

Claire gazed after him, her eyes bulging like a frog's. Had he really just complimented her? Realizing her shock, she quickly composed her thoughts and schooled her features before he noticed. Then she said as sweetly as possible, "I'm glad you like it, Your Grace. I thought the color would look wonderful on me."

"It suits you well, yes."

His reaction was far from what she had expected. She almost preferred a scenario where he might have said something less complimentary. Then she would have had a reason to continue disliking him as much as she had.

A new and curious silence ensued. When they came upon a bench, he led her to it and sat down beside her. All the while, he avoided her gaze. It seemed as if he was determined to look anywhere except her.

At last, she could stand it no longer. "Forgive me, Your Grace, but is there a reason we are here?" She glanced at him out of the corner of her eye. Though he was difficult to read, there was a hint of frustration evident. She saw it in the way he held himself tensely, and in the way he fiddled with a golden coin hidden in his hand.

He slipped the coin in his pocket and turned to her. "There is a reason, yes. I was upset when I discovered what had happened in my absence. I would like to hear your version of the story."

Claire slowly exhaled. The king's words brought everything into clarity. Disappointment clawed at her insides. Just when she had hoped for an apology, his intentions became clear. He simply wanted a direct account of what had happened with the Vodar. "As...as you wish," she said, her voice hollow.

Granting his request, she detailed what had happened the night the Vodar attacked, beginning with Saffra's vision and ending with her plummet into the sea. She told him everything except for how the secret passages were used. He hadn't yet earned her trust and she wanted to keep that a secret—for now.

During her retelling, King Talon often stopped her. She did her best to be patient with him, especially when he said, "You put yourself in great danger."