39.6K 1.3K 419

Winter's P.O.V

To Harper...

I am about to read on until I hear a knock on my door. I quickly close the book shut and place it on the table beside my Diary of a Wimpy Kid book that I finished yesterday.

The door opens slowly and I look at Alec who is holding his phone. "Your mom wants to talk to you." He says and I nod as he gives me the phone. I press the speaker button.

"Hello?" I say and I hear my mother sigh.

"Hey baby, how are you? Are the boys behaving?" My mom lets out a chuckle but I don't join in. I don't feel like laughing. This wasn't time for laughing. I look at Alec who nods slowly towards my direction and for some reason, I know what he meant by that nod.

Add that to my mysterious things in my life.

"I'm good and yeah, the boys have been fine." I say with a little frown. Not all of them, I can't help but think to myself. In the corner of my eye, I see Alec smiling at me before he leaves the room.

"Baby, what's wrong? You sound upset." My mom says and I let out a sigh.

"Its nothing. I'm just tired."

"Oh, well, I'll talk to you later today, okay? Love you."

"Love you too." I say and hang up the phone. I place a hand on my head as I feel a tear slide down my face.

----------

I wake up to the sound of my alarm going off and I open my eyes, pressing the 'disarm' button. I throw my legs off of my bed and walk to my bathroom. I look in the mirror and run a finger over the bruise that is clearly visible on my cheek. I decide to leave it there since no one really notices me at school. How I love my life, I think to myself.

I wash my face with warm water and dry it with the cloth that is folded neatly on the sink. I walk out of the bathroom and grab my uniform, putting it on. When I am finished, I walk downstairs to see Alec sitting at the table and I sit next to him.

"Hey," I mumble.

"Morning." He mumbles back as he looks at his fingers that were slightly shaking.

"You want to walk to school today?" Alec asks and I can't help but nod. At that moment, I notice Cole and Hayden walk down the stairs. I wave at the two and they wave back weakly. Then, my eyes catch onto another boy as he walks down the stairs with his hand pressing against his forehead. Out of fear, I look back at Alec.

"Should we go now?" I ask and he nods, getting out of the chair.

I motion for Cole and Hayden to follow and they walk over to me and Alec but Sam suddenly grabs Hayden by the wrist, making Hayden hiss at him. As if to make me feel more sick to my stomach, the events from last night appear into my head as I remember Hayden's injuries.

"Sam, let him go!" I snap, making Sam look up at me.

"Don't make me give you another bruise." Sam bites back with a smirk and I go to say something until Cole throws his hands in the air.

"Sam, shut up! You're lucky I didn't tell mom about your drunk act last night!" Cole shouts and Sam rolls his eyes, motioning for Hayden to follow him out the door. Seconds later, we hear a car reversing out of the drive way and I sigh knowing that Sam is gone.

"Aren't you gonna hide that?" Cole asks, referring to my bruise and I shake my head.

"No one really notices me and if they do, they shouldn't care because all they want is gossip." I say with a small smile and Alec and Cole smile slightly.