Happy Christmas

Phoebe was currently munching on her third pastry of the morning, watching Sirius and James tear through their gifts like Tasmanian devils.

Fleamont sighs from his spot next to her, simply shaking his head. Phoebe grins and the two clank their cups together, cheers-ing silently. James whoops as he pulls out tickets from his stocking. Sirius and Phoebe both gasp. "Are those chudley cannons tickets?!" Phoebe cries, scooting to the edge of the couch to get a better look.

James snorts and says, "shouldn't you be a harpies fan? Considering...you know."

Sirius grins as Phoebe scowls. "You're lucky your parents are here, Potter." She warns, leaning back in her seat.

Euphemia smirks and says, "Feel free to teach him a lesson, Phoebe."

James gapes and points at his chuckling parents. "Traitors!" He cries. Fleamont sighs again and says, "He's always had a flair for drama. James pass Phoebe one of her presents please."

"She has legs," James says snarkily, earning another glare from phoebe. The intimacy they'd shared earlier in the week was gone, replaced with the same bickering relationship they'd always had. Phoebe was immensely embarrassed by her weak stomach and James was embarrassed by his compassion.

Sirius rolls his eyes and snags the present Fleamont was gesturing to. Phoebe smiles nervously and begins tearing open the wrapping paper. Sirius and James jump when she screams.

"You got me a first edition?!" Phoebe jumps to her feet, balking at Mr. and Mrs Potter. Mia grins and says eagerly, "open it, dear!"

Phoebe's heart nearly leaps from her chest when she opens up the front cover and sees written in beautiful, looping scrawl.

Miss Phoebe Griffin,

It's come to my attention that you have quite the passion for magical creatures and a knack for caring for them. Fleamont seems to think you'll make a wonderful addition to the field. I encourage you to study hard for your N.E.W.Ts and to please write me when you've finished at Hogwarts and need work. I'd gladly welcome a set of new eyes on my newest project.

Signed,

Newt Scamander.

P.s. I happen to think Veela's are some of the most misunderstood kind. I'm eager to hear your point of view.

P.p.s I too have a soft spot for Nifflers.

Phoebe feels tears well up before she can stop them. Newt Scamander knew who she was. The Veela launches herself into the arms of Fleamont and Euphemia Potter, saying quietly, "Thank you. So so much."

Mia gets choked up as well, sharing a soft look with Fleamont and the boys before she says, "Of course, Phoebe."

The girl separates from the adults, smiling down at the book in her hands. She's read it countless times, but immersed herself in the book as Sirius and James finish opening their presents. Mia and Fleamont travel to the kitchen to give the teenagers some space to open their gifts for each other.

Sirius gasps excitedly, pulling a black leather jacket from a perfectly wrapped box. It matched almost exactly the one he'd gifted her earlier in the day. His heart swells at the idea of the two of them sharing something other than disappointed parents.

"Phoebe Griffin!" He cries, standing and tugging the jacket on. He tugs the girl up off the couch and into his arms, hugging her tightly. Phoebe laughs and hugs him back, saying cheekily, "I've seen you eyeing them for months. All that's left is to get ourselves a motorcycle."

Sirius grins widely and pecks her cheek before sprinting to the kitchen to show off his gift. Phoebe glances at James, suddenly feeling quite awkward. She shuffles her feet nervously before handing him a small box.

"Happy Christmas, Potter," She says quietly. James accents the gift and hesitates before opening it. He slowly opens up the silver wrapped box, tearing back when a golden ball darts from it at the speed of light.

He blinks rapidly and asks, "Is that a—"

"Call it," Phoebe says eagerly. "In your head, call it back."

James holds out his hand and asks the snitch to come back like he would a person. It flies to him instantly, landing in his palm and folding back up into a ball.

"How did you manage to get this?" He asks with wonder, studying the unblemished gold ball. His heart warms slightly when he sees James F. Potter engraved in the center.

"I can't reveal all of my sources," Phoebe says playfully, sitting down next to the boy. "Plus it's no regular snitch. You can use it to send messages, no matter how far. And it will always come back when you call it."

"Phoebe, that's bloody brilliant!" James breathes, nit realizing he's said the girls real name. The Veela blushed slightly and shrugs nonchalantly. James meets her eyes briefly before gingerly handing her a gift.

She smiles at the newspaper he's wrapped it in, glancing up to look at him. He avoid her gaze, studying the snitch in his palm with a clenched jaw.

Phoebe slowly unwraps the box, eyeing the velvet covered case in her hands. She opens it up and gapes at what's inside. Sitting in maroon velvet are the prettiest earrings she's ever seen. They're a stunning set of small white gold hoops But the real beauty is the stones that barely dangle from them. The gems look like sparkling bluish sea glass and when she tilts them the light makes them gleam a light grey.

"This is too much," She says quietly, tearing her gaze away from the sparkling jewels. James is already looking down at her with a tiny smile. "Put them on," He urges, scooting closer to her. Phoebe smiles back, unable to help herself. She pulls her hair back And hands him the box to hold while she slowly puts them on.

James gulps silently at the sight of the jewelry against her imperfection free skin. The back of his mind tries to hurl another girls name at him, but the only thing he can hold onto is how pretty Phoebe Griffin looks wearing his present.

Her smile changes to a look of curiosity as she asks, "Did you charm them?"

James quickly shakes his head, watching as her brows furrow.

"They're...singing," Phoebe says, surprise and confusion in her voice. James grins broadly and says, "No way! That old bat wasn't pulling my leg after all. Apparently they're from the ocean where veela and mermaids originated. She said they would sing, but I didn't really believe it!"

Phoebe blinks at him and asks, "You picked these out for me?"

James nods and rubs the back of his neck.

"They seemed like something you'd like. The Veela thing really sold me."

Phoebe laughs and shakes her head slightly, making the gems catch the light.

"What is it singing?" James asks excitedly, leaning closer like he can hear. Phoebe chuckles and murmurs, "It's a song my mum used to sing when I was wrong. I recognize the tune."

"Sing it, I want to hear!" James demands, desperate to hear the song that's making the Veela smile so beautifully. She chuckles and says teasingly, "Sorry, Potter. Not today."

James frowns, but it quickly turns into a smile again when her eyes close and she bobs her head gently, soaking in the music in her ears. She looks serene and happy. And as much as he likes pissing her off, this might be even better.