Squirm

James stares at the girl he's been trying to avoid thinking about for months. He soaks her in slowly, starting at her sneaker clad feet and tracing his eyes up her body until he meets her beautiful grey eyes.

She's breath taking. Her hair has been kissed by the sun, her eyes looking startling against her tanned skin. He smells lavender and the ocean and his heart sings at the sight of her. He notices that her hair is longer and he wants to reach out and touch it, twirl it around his finger.

"James," She replies sweetly, drawing him back to earth. Her grin is easy and coy and James can't stop himself from pulling her into a hug.

She laughs happily, wrapping her arms around her ex-rival as he walks her backwards, her feet balancing on his. He grins too, burying his face in the crook of her shoulder. She's here. She's real. She's okay. He pauses when his hands cup her shoulder blades realizes that she's gotten thinner, probably at the hands of her mother. She interrupts his worried thoughts however

"That better be your wand, Potter," The Veela warns playfully, her words mirroring the ones she voiced to him last year. James smirks and pulls back, saying cheekily, "I don't know, Griffin. I'm pretty happy to see you."

She scoffs and shoves him back, fighting more laughter. Someone loudly clears their throat, disturbing the happy bubble she and the boy were in. She peers over his shoulder to see Remus, Sirius, and Peter smirking at them. She decides to ignore them, stepping around James to settle into the compartment.

"Remus, Peter. It's bloody good to see you!"

James follows her into the compartment, reclaiming his seat by the window. His heart swells with an unfamiliar emotion as she sits next to him. When the Veela crosses her legs, his eyes automatically zero in on the motion. Her mini skirt unfortunately gave him an uninhibited view of her tanned legs, legs that he distinctly remembers the feeling of from last term.

'God those feel good wrapped around—'

James sits straight up, shaking his head furiously at the lusty thought. He swears to himself under his breath, earning a curious look from the girl he was just drooling over. He flushes underneath Phoebe's gaze, but Alice, Marlene, and Lily enter the compartment before he needs to come up with a good excuse. James swears to himself then and there that the three girls will be getting wonderful Christmas gifts for saving his arse from humiliation.

"Phoebe," Lily cries excitedly. The copper haired girl pulls her friend to her feet so she can hug her properly. Phoebe feels a wave of affection and emotion that's hard to contain. But her mother isn't here to stop her so she yells back, "Merlin, I missed you three!!!"

Sirius, James, Peter, and Remus watch in amusement as the witches pass Phoebe off to each other for a hug. Marlene gasps when it's her turn, saying dramatically, "How is it possible for a Veela to get prettier?!"

Phoebe rolls her eyes and pokes the cheeky girl before turning to Alice. Her pixie haired friend smiles widely, holding up her hand. Phoebe giggles happily, eyes connecting with the beautiful ring on her finger. She grabs the girls hands and asks quietly, "Did you guys do it?"

Alice nods and replies, "Yes. As much as I wish everyone could be there all of the deaths in Frank's village were getting to be scary. And we didn't want to wait any longer. So you're looking at the new and improved Alice Longbottom!"

The whole compartment cheers, making Alice blush furiously. Marlene pipes up and begins to sing, but Alice quickly slaps her hand over her mouth.

"Marlene, you've already sang Auld Lang Syne twice. I can't take it anymore."

Marlene sighs and nods, letting out a squeal when Sirius pulls her down into his lap. He says cheekily, earning collective eye rolls, "You can sing however you like for me, McKinnon."

Lily takes her seat between Remus and Peter. Phoebe turns to sit back in her spot, but a mischievous looking Alice is already sitting. Phoebe huffs and goes to squeeze in between Peter and the window, but hands snatch her waist.

James grins as he pulls the unsuspecting blonde into his lap, his heart throwing a horrific dance party in his chest. Phoebe sighs at her sudden placement and goes to stand, but his arms around her waist are like iron. The Veela grumbles to herself while James laughs quietly. She decidedly ignores him and leans forward slightly to talk to Peter about Mary.

However, she's quite squirmy. Every shift and wiggle makes James' cheeks feel a little more warm. Just like her hips did in that closet last term. He gulps and says a prayer his mother taught him, although he doubted that his mum would've known he'd been using it to keep from getting a hard on. James finally snaps, pulling her back into his chest from where she'd been leaning forward to listen to Peter and Remus.

"Jeez, Potter," Phoebe grumbles at the harsh movement. A shiver runs up her spine when his lips hover by her ear, whispering huskily, "Stop squirming around so much or we're going to have a problem, Bee."

Phoebe's eyes widen a little at his veiled meaning. Dear Merlin, James Potter was getting a hard on from her. She blushes and nods a little, stilling his lap. He chuckles and leans back in his seat. Phoebe doesn't know why she's thinking the way she is...but James Potter feels good against her back. And he smells good, like freshly cut pine trees. She finds herself leaning back with him, pressed fully against his strong body. Her heart beats faster when he rests his chin on her shoulder and squeezes her hips with his muscular arms. It's far too intimate for friends, but the feeling of him against her calls to mind some things she's pushed down over the summer. Like how his lips feel on hers.

'Merlin,' The Veela thinks to herself, relishing his warmth that begins to envelope her. If she knew it wouldn't draw attention she'd spring free from the boy and go for a walk to try and calm down her flustered self. Fortunately, the group of friends is busy watching Sirius and Marlene bicker about something. Phoebe's not sure what, but she doesn't bother asking.

James hesitates before he whispers in her ear, his lips already close, "I missed you Phoebe Griffin."

Butterflies erupt in her stomach. She tries to fight them, push them away. They're permanent though, brought to life by James and his surprisingly sweet demeanor. She doesn't turn to face him, too embarrassed by the smile she knows is on her face.

"I missed you too, James Potter."