Chapter 134 - Red Name

Nie Yan glanced at his status bar and was disappointed to find his name branded red. Though, now that he thought back to earlier, he was indeed the one who had drawn first blood. However, the circumstances at that time were very tense. He had no time to thoroughly consider the consequences of his actions. After all, if Night Shadow got the first attack in while he still held the Zombie King’s aggro, then he would be sandwiched between two enemies and it would without a doubt mark his death.

Sadly, there was nothing he could do about this since the system rules for player interaction were as such. Truthfully, the act of PKing, or player killing, was a form of recreation unto itself. To effortlessly dispose of an opponent while staying within the boundaries set by the game, now that was the highest level of play very few could achieve.

In his earlier predicament, it was impossible for him to yield the first attack to the enemy. As for cutting his losses and leaving, that was even more of an impossibility! However, he had to admit he did have such an urge at the back of his mind, but in those circumstances, who would possibly submit to such humiliation!?

Though, after killing those three players, his name had been branded in a deep crimson red.

Nonetheless, it wasn’t anything so alarming that it would make him worry. In his past life, he had been branded red at least several dozen times over. In especially chaotic battles, being branded red two or three times in a single day was a fairly regular occurrence. Even though his name was branded red, based on his current gear, if other players wished to kill him, it would be as difficult as ascending the heavens. If he wanted to escape, there was no one who would be able to bar his way! This was why he wasn’t feeling the least bit anxious.

However, based on his current Influence in Calore, while his name was still branded red, he would immediately be attacked by the guards upon being spotted.

Nie Yan suddenly recalled, if his name was red, he could simply hunt Scaled Frogs!

They were especially great monsters for reducing the PKer status effect. Not to mention they gave increased experience and higher drop rates while under a red name. Sometimes, if a player was lucky, they would drop a special present known as the Slaughter Fiend Medallion!

Perhaps there’s still some good that can come out of this.

His battle with Tangerine, Night Shadow, and Hidden Blade was a wake-up call. The two chapters from the Book of Order and the fragment of Sulgata’s Shadow were items that would benefit him greatly in the future. After all, he would receive four more stat points than the average player every five levels. However, since he had spent so much time gathering them, the rest of his gear became lacking as a result, a reminder that he needed to be faster with levelling and collecting better equipment; otherwise, he might not be so lucky in his next encounter.

After reaffirming his resolve, he examined the Level 10 Arcane Mage Staff in his hands.

Blackwind Staff (Gold)Requirements: Level 10 

Properties: Magic Power 62–68, +30 Explosion Damage, +30% damage against Beast-type monsters 

Weight: 2 lb 

Restrictions: Arcane Mage; can only be equipped by members of the Righteous Guardians of Order. 

It turns out that woman actually had this sort of weapon! No wonder she dealt so much damage. No matter how high my defense was, it would have still been useless… I should give this staff to Tang Yao, just in time too since he’s about to hit Level 10. Then, after switching his gear, we can leave to do the quest. But without Sacrificial Gambit, I’m not sure we can still succeed. I ought to get him some better spells to increase our chances.