Chapter 165 - Demon Hunter

Nie Yan grinded Headless Horsemen for the entire day. Failing to complete Task 3 by the time server closing approached, he began musing to himself about how he was going to leave. Should I let myself die to see if I get teleported out...? Maybe the key to getting out is in that shrine I saw earlier. But if I try to barge in there with my current strength, I'm practically asking for a death wish...

Without being able to come up with a solution, he decided to put off such thoughts for later and logged off with a dejected sigh.

Shortly after taking off the game helmet, the house phone rang.

Hey, you finally answered your phone! I've been trying to reach you for ages. You punk, where the hell did you go off to? How come I can't get in touch with you inside the game?」Tang Yao anxiously asked.

I ran into some trouble, ended up getting sucked into a special map.

No wonder we couldn't reach you! Is it dangerous?

I'm fine for now. I just don't know how to get out.

Ah, I see... It's good that you're not in any danger though. It'd suck pretty bad if you died with your name still being red... By the way, Heaven Breaker's already Level 17. That guy's really going at it, trying to overtake me on the leaderboards.

Hmm... he's levelling up pretty fast, but for the time being, he still won't be able to catch up to you.

I know, but who knows if that'll be the case later on. It's really tough levelling without the support of my Arcane Fairy...」Tang Yao said rather dejectedly. Heaven Breaker's perseverance truly was worthy of praise. At the same time, without his Arcane Fairy, his levelling speed had indeed slowed quite considerably. He couldn't say for sure Heaven Breaker wouldn't reclaim his throne some day.

Have you found a Slaughter Fiend Medallion yet?」Nie Yan suddenly asked.

Nope, still haven't...」Tang Yao let out a disappointed sigh.

Nie Yan wrinkled his brows. Tang Yao's name was already so red that it definitely passed the threshold. He had to be seriously down on his luck if he still wasn't able to find one.「Well... just keep soldiering on. It's not that big of a deal if Heaven Breaker passes you. Everyone expects it since he's the guild leader of Victorious Return. Besides, even if he takes first place from you, we can just snatch it back later on.

A flash of determination swept across Tang Yao's face. Clenching his fist, he said「No! I won't give him the chance! I don't care through what method, but I won't be going down without a fight! I'll make him suffer for sure. A real man always takes his revenge!」It seemed Tang Yao still felt quite a bit of resentment toward Heaven Breaker for the ambush which led to his Arcane Fairy perishing.

Tang Yao's outburst reminded Nie Yan of the past. Back when they were in middle school, he and Tang Yao had been stopped by a bully outside the school gate and beaten up. Later on, Tang Yao had found that bully and returned the beating several fold. From that day forward, the bully didn't dare to trouble them again. The teachers at school taught students to requite grievances with kindness and tolerance. However, ever since he was small, Tang Yao's father told him that teaching was wrong. "If you suffer any injustices, you'll have to rely on your own ability to claim retribution. They teach you how to behave with integrity, but I'm teaching you how to survive! It's not a matter of who's in the right or who's in the wrong. Because in the real world, those beliefs are as flimsy as the paper you and I write on!" he would always say.

As a result, Tang Yao grew up to be a petty and vengeful person down to the core of his being. Of course, that was only towards the people he disliked.