Chapter 179 - Light Monastery

As Nie Yan traversed the dense forest region, he spotted a Kamirun building up ahead beyond the shade of the trees.

Kamirun meant purity and light in the Ancient Common Language. It was a style of architecture widely seen on the holy shrines spread across the various regions of the empire. Its most notable characteristic was the expensive Kamirun white stone, the primary material used in the construction of buildings of this style. It was far more dazzling than ordinary white stone, reflecting bright halos under the sun's rays while giving off a feeling of incorruptible sanctity. Apart from this, Kamirun buildings generally had round rooftops that were deep crimson.

The Light Monastery had fallen into disrepair after centuries of neglect, its white stone walls covered in mud and grime, failing to reflect even the faintest glimmer. It had once been a sacred place of pilgrimage, but now it was in ruins, its years of splendor having long since passed. In front of the monastery was an open square where at the center stood the statue of an angel. It had a pious expression on its face, though it was now barely discernible under the corrosion and wear.

Nie Yan trod lightly as he made his way toward the entrance of the monastery. The gates were wide open, allowing him to peer inside. He could make out humanoid figures cloaked in red skulking around the courtyard. They had crooked backs, carrying a dagger in each hand; they were bandits.

Red Cloaked Heretic: Level 30Health: 1,200/1,200

Generally, Thief-type creatures had small health pools, but their attacks were quite fierce. They were even capable of stunning players with a Concussive Blow every so often. On another note, as human monsters, money and items could be pilfered from their pockets. So Level 30 Thieves that had learned Steal would find training here to be quite profitable.

Red Cloaked Heretics were classified as evil creatures. So Nie Yan's Intermediate Demon Hunter title could weaken their stats by twenty percent, making them easier to handle. He'd be able to deal around three hundred damage with every attack.

Nie Yan was still only Level 17, so fighting these Red Cloak Heretics would take up a lot of his time . He decided to simply sneak around them.

Nie Yan stepped through the gate, where he discovered a tablet of stone protruding from the ground. It was inscribed with characters from the Ancient Common Language. As it was badly damaged by corrosion, he could only make out a few words.

Ten Holy Paladins, as the Dark Era is about to pass, we await the descent of light.」

The Legend of the Ten Holy Paladins was an old folktale passed down from generation to generation in the Glennin province. Its origins stretched back to the Dark Era. It told of a group of unyielding heroes who fought against the tyranny of the ruthless dragons while spreading faith in the Light. They founded the Light Monastery, Glennin's most important stronghold of resistance that lasted all the way until the eve of the Dark Era, when the reign of the dragons was overthrown. The monastery was suddenly abandoned, and the Ten Holy Paladins vanished without a trace. Some say that after serving out their purpose, they left for the kingdom of heaven to accept God's blessings. Others claimed they brought their beloveds with them to live out the rest of their lives in peace, free from worldly affairs in the northern prairies of the province.

The Light Monastery was later occupied by Red Cloaked Heretics who drove out the nearby residents, and transformed this place into a bandit den.

Just what kind of untold mysteries were hidden within the Legend of the Ten Holy Paladins? The history of Conviction was always so intriguing that people couldn't help but want to seek out the truth.