Chapter 27

Having washed the last of the dishes she had accumulated after finishing her up kitchen duties, Lynne grabbed a glass of cranberry juice and walked into her parents' living room. Numerous family members were packed into the space: her siblings, their spouses, her aunts and uncles, and her father. Conversations were flowing all around her as they caught up with each other, played with each other, discussed football and politics, and just enjoyed each other's company. In the corner her youngest nieces and nephews occupied the floor, playing with numerous toys kept in the living room chest. Nat was on the floor, keeping Paulo occupied while his mother was in the kitchen helping to cook.

Plopping herself on the couch next to her cousin, Yolanda, and uncle Freddy, her mother's youngest brother, she listened in to their conversation on politics. Not wanting to step into the minefield the new age liberal and old school conservative were navigating, Lynne turned her attention to the television, watching the football game the majority of her male family members were shouting about.

Small hands waving in front of her face brought her out of her reverie.

"Auntie, will you play with us?" Elisa's daughter, Hannah asked with Vinny's daughter Bianca in tow.

"Sure, what are you playing?" Lynne asked, getting up off the couch. She had to momentarily steady herself on the armrest as the rush of blood from standing too quickly made her lightheaded.

"Jenga!" Bianca answered, eagerly. "It's more fun with more people though."

"You are absolutely correct," Lynne replied, nestling on the floor opposite Hannah, who had begun to stack the tiles.

An hour and multiple rounds of Jenga later, where Lynne learned that their younger hands were much steadier than her own, it was finally time for dinner. Taking her place between David's girlfriend Amara and her sister, Elisa, she eyed all of the magnificent dishes prepared. After Aunt Shelly blessed the food, they all dug into the wonderful feast that had been prepared for them. Lynne found herself fighting with her brother-in-law, Travis, for the last one of Elisa's buttermilk rolls when she went back for seconds. Following a minor playful debate highlighting why each of them deserved it more, they took the 'King Solomon' route and split it.

Once everyone had more or less finished their plates, it was time to go around the room and declare what each of them was thankful for. Many of the reasons were similar to the same ones said from year-to-year: family, health, passing grades, new jobs, etc. Purveying the room as her family members spoke, Lynne settled into a level of quiet contentment. She loved this holiday more than any of the others. There was no pretense attached to it. No religious overhangings, no presents, no expectations, just love, togetherness, and family. It wasn't until Elisa nudged her, that she realized it was her turn.

"I'm thankful that the numbers on my spreadsheets balanced out evenly before I left work yesterday," she simultaneously signed and spoke.

"Lame!" Vinny called out from his space on the opposite side of the table.

"Oh hesh up boy," Aunt Shelley chided him from her space at the end of the table. "The girl is allowed to be thankful for whatever she wants to be thankful for."

"Fine, I'm thankful that I am gainfully employed for another year. Is that better, brother-mine?" She asked, shooting him a pointed look.

"I"ll allow it."

"So gracious of you," she mocked, taking a sip of her sparkling cider.

"Maybe this time next year she'll be gracious for a new man in her life?" Nat suggested from her spot next to Kris, wiggling her eyes in Lynne's direction.