Chapter 44

If you had told Huan just twenty-four hours ago that he would be spending New Year's morning at a twenty-four hour diner with his ex-girlfriend, he probably would have thought you were several crayons short of a full box.

After talking with Lynne on the rooftop, he wandered back inside Edgar's apartment and went to get himself a drink in preparation of toasting the new year. As he wove himself through the throng of people that seemed to have grown exponentially since he went outside, he had accidentally bumped into Veronica right as he approached the refreshments. She had come to the party because a sorority sister of hers was friends with Edgar's fiancee. Small world.

They found themselves slipping back into the easy rapport that they shared. The conversation flowed so naturally that when those around them started counting down the final seconds of the year, they only registered it when it got to the final ten seconds. Huan's eyes quickly scanned the crowd for Lynne as their voices joined the countdown. Once they got to one, his mind could only focus on the lips that had crashed against his in a fiery kiss. Enveloped by her spicy familiar scent and the taste of champagne on her lips, he wrapped his arms around the body that he used to think was made for him and deepened the kiss. After what felt like minutes, but was probably seconds, they pulled apart and stared at each other. His body was vibrating with a familiar yearning that was enhanced due to the liquor in his system. "Happy New Year," someone shouted around them and broke their bubble of concentration. They went about congratulating those around them.

Huan separated himself from Veronica, who he had to admit looked stunning in her silver sequined dress and red high heeled pumps that did wonders for her toned legs and ass. He searched for Lynne to get a hug for the new year and was perplexed when he couldn't find her. Edgar's penthouse was large, but there were only so many places she could be. After heading back outside to the rooftop where he last saw her and asking a group of people passing around a joint if they had seen her who shook their heads collectively no, perplexity morphed into minor panic. Where is she?

Eventually, he registered that his phone was vibrating in his back pocket. Pulling it out, he scanned through the numerous "Happy New Year" messages from friends and family. As he went to clear the messages from his home screen, a new message from Lynne popped up.

L: It kills me to admit this, but you were right. Couldn't make it to midnight after all. The party drained me. Please don't hate me, but I am driving home. Don't worry about me. Enjoy yourself at the party. I'll talk to you later. Happy New Year!

Before he could reply and ask why she hadn't told him in person before she left, he felt someone tapping on his shoulder. Turning around, he was immediately wrapped up in a near back-breaking hug from Edgar. "HAPPY NEW YEAR, HUAN!!"

Huan reciprocated the hug with a good-natured slap on the back. "Happy New Year to you too, Eddie!"

"Where's Triple L?" Eddie asked as he looked around Huan.

"She left. Maxed out on the social interaction plus she's been tired a lot lately. You know how she is. Overworking like the rest of us," he told him with a shrug.

"Bummer. I would've thought we had at least until 1am before she turned into a pumpkin. I'm glad she came out though."

"Yeah," Huan said, but the small half-smile on his face didn't quite reach his eyes.

"Come on old friend. The rooftop is emptying out and Hailey has been swept away by the coven of her friends for photos and girl talk. I've got a couple of primo cigars my brother brought me back from his trip to Nicaragua. We need to catch up. Grab that bottle of William Larue Weller Bourbon I have hidden behind the bar and a few glasses. I'll meet you out there."