Chapter 34

"Sorry I'm a little late, but Friday night traffic. What can you do? I clean up nicely, don't I?" Lynne asked him with a wide smile on her face, giving a little spin for effect, as she reached his side.

"You actually look quite stunning in that dress. I barely recognize you," Huan breathed out.

Gone was the best friend he normally saw in jeans and old t-shirts. In her place was a woman who could command the attention of anyone who wanted her. Lynne wore an elegant satin ball gown with a halter neckline and diamond back cutout in lapis. The skirt flowed and swished with each motion of her hips. The curves of her hips and swell of her bosom that had become fuller with the small amount of weight she had gained so far in the pregnancy were accentuated by the cut of the fabric. However, her stomach was well hidden by the fabric in the front. Her rose gold jewelry choices of a delicate tennis bracelet, a bow diamond ring on her right ring finger, and chandelier drop earrings were adorned with lapis stones and matched her rose gold slingback heels. She kept her makeup minimal, adopting a natural look with a dusting of eyeshadow, eyeliner, and a nude lip. To complete her look, she had her box braids pulled back into an exquisite French roll which sat low at her nape. She radiated confidence and was positively glowing.

"I didn't think you would out-pretty me. Now I'm going to have to fight off all the horny bastards trying to paw at you when I'm supposed to be networking," he told her as he pulled her in for a hug.

"Down boy," she told him as he released her. "Trust me, you won't have to worry about that. I plan on fading into the background as I silently judge all the stuffed shirts that pass me by. I will smile and make polite conversation while you work the room." She scrunched her face in concentration and took a deep breath before pulling him back against her body. "You smell so gorgeous! Is this a new cologne you're wearing? Does this mean there is someone here you are trying to impress tonight? Oooh. Where is she? Is that the real reason you brought me? Make her jealous???"

Laughing, Huan pulled back and looked at her. "No. No. Nowhere. Negative. Nope. I've been wearing this same cologne for years. I'm pretty sure you bought this for me?  And how does one smell gorgeous?"

"No. If you've been wearing this all this time, I would have remembered. Did you get a new body wash or hair gel?" She persisted, taking another whiff of him.

"Nope. Maybe your nose is smelling someone else."

"Highly doubt it." She scrunched up her nose one last time before shaking her head. "Strange. Oh well. Your bowtie is crooked," she told him as she fixed his tie and smoothed out his shirt when she finished before patting his chest. "Much better. Now you totally look prettier than me. Let's get you mixing and impressing these people. I've screwed on my 'I actually enjoy talking to strangers'-smile tonight plus I took two naps. So I'm ready to earn my keep for the night," she gushed at him with a wink as she linked her arm through his. "Lead on McDuff."

An hour or so had passed with Huan and Lynne mingling through the crowd of his colleagues and their respective spouses. After a while, Huan was whisked away by Dr. Levater to be introduced to another person of supposed importance for his career. He left Lynne standing by herself at a cocktail table once she assured him she'd be fine. In reality she needed to replenish her energy reserves and was grateful for the respite from interacting with other people. As she sipped on a glass of sparkling water, she scanned the assembled crowd. Numerous men and women were working the crowd, decked out in their finest, listening to the live music in the background, enjoying themselves. Notably, some men were stuffed a little tightly into their tuxedos and more than one woman had caked on far too much makeup.

Waiters wove themselves through offering up hors d'oeuvres to those they passed. She herself had snagged a few and was nibbling on them when an older white-haired gentleman in a well tailored, tuxedo with a blue and red striped bow tie approached her cocktail table. "As it seems they are not ready to sit us yet, do you mind if I share this tiny tabletop with you, my dear?" He asked Lynne with a twinkle in his eye.