Chapter 8

Huan looked down at the papers in his hands and furrowed his brows. The same brows shot straight up when the realization spread over his face. "Oh. My. God! You're PREGNANT!!!" Putting the items down on the counter, he grabbed her around the waist, pulling her into a bear hug before he lifted her in the air, and swung her in a circle. "I get to be an UNCLE! This is so great! I'm gonna spoil this kid rotten. I didn't even know you were seeing someone."'

"Please put me down, Huan." She instructed him dryly, clamping her hands on his forearms.

"Sorry, Lyndy." He crooned, putting her back on the ground, and leaning down to her stomach. "Sorry, baby.

"Stop that." She swatted his head away. "I'm not seeing anyone. When would I have time to see someone? I would have told you."

"Ok. So, I'm missing something. I didn't know you wanted to be a mom now. Did you get in vitro?"

"Negative on the in vitro. This was done the old fashioned way. I'm six weeks pregnant, Huan." She told him, cocking an eyebrow.

"So still in your first trimester. Morning sickness, heartburn, tender titties, fatigue, and increased urination are all coming your way."

"I've already been there. In spades. I've had to pee so often I thought I had a bladder infection or a UTI. Back to what I was saying Huan. I'm six weeks pregnant. What else happened six weeks ago?"

"Summer ended?"

"Jesus, Mary, and Josephine Stalin, Huan!" She yelled in exasperation. "You are so smart, yet so thick at this moment. When did you turn 29?"

"August 25?"

"Ok, focus with me." She grabbed his hands in hers and stared him directly in his eyes. "And how long ago was that?"

"About six-oh. OH. NO!" His brown eyes widened in realization, scanning her face. He slowly shook his head from side to side, his black hair following suit. "NO WAY!"

"There you go. The last horse crosses the finish line." She let go of his hands and leaned against the island as he started to pace back and forth in the kitchen in a craze.

"You....you're having....I mean. Are you trying to tell me that we're having a baby?!" He asked her incredulously, pointing back and forth between the two of them. "I don't believe this! We only had sex that one time."

"Are you really going to stand there and make that statement? You're a doctor for heaven's sake. You know the risks of unprotected sex better than anyone. Or at least you should."

"Yeah, but. But. One time." His voice was strained.

"We didn't use a condom and I haven't been on birth control since I had that bad reaction back in March when I changed brands. So one time is all it took, apparently. Look at it this way, you've been complaining that I didn't get you anything for your birthday this year. Well here you go, confirmation that your sperm works." She said in a half-attempt to lighten the mood.

"Lynne. Now is no time to be joking. You just told me I got you pregnant! We have to be serious about it."

"DON'T YOU THINK I'M TRYING?!" She snapped at him, putting her head in her hands. "I'm sorry. It's just, I've been on an emotional rollercoaster of very high and very low points for the past few days and now I'm going to be taking you along for this ride. All this week, I tried to stay in denial of this pregnancy being a reality. I put my head down and concentrated on work. And now that I have the proof that there is a real, live, symbiote sharing my body, I am terrified. Terrified of the unknown that could possibly happen during this pregnancy, but more so terrified of your answer to my next question."