Chapter 59

After his neurological evaluation, a joint visit from Orthopedics and his physical therapist, and a visit from his aunt and uncle, Huan had fallen back asleep. He was in recovery and the need to rest his body plus his pain medication kept him out for most of the day. Eventually, his mother had agreed to leave and would be back in the evening with Rose after the early dinner rush left the restaurant.

Once he finally woke up, he was pleased to see Veronica sitting in the chair next to his bed. A smile started to cross his face until he realized the icy posture she had adapted. "Hey. How've you been?"

"I've been great. Not pregnant, but getting a bunch of congratulatory messages since apparently I am."

"What?" Confusion clouded Huan's mind as he went over her last sentence. "What are you talking about?"

"Since I'm not pregnant, you must be hiding some other long-time girlfriend. Didn't know you had it in you 2-time me, asshole."

"I never 2-timed you. In my defense, Lynne and I only had sex the one-time and you had already broken up with me."

"Of fucking course it's Lynne," she scoffed, crossing her arms over her chest. " It didn't take you long to fall into bed with her though."

"The timing is besides the point."

"And you didn't think this pregnancy was something you should have mentioned to me when I said I wanted to get back together?" She asked, anger seeping into her tone.

"When you said we would take it slow, I took that time to evaluate what I really felt in our relationship. Lynne and I had made a decision to not tell anyone until she was out of danger and the holidays were over. We had meant to start telling everyone last week, but my accident messed things up."

"Wow, your relationship with Lynne is more important than being truthful to me, your ACTUAL girlfriend. You sure know how to make a girl feel special."

"I'm not the one who asked to try again, Ronnie. What you and I have now is nothing like what he had before. You created that rift when you told me you didn't see a future with me. How did you put it?" He paused to pull at the old memory. "Ah right, I didn't have a future that was on your level and you couldn't see our real lives gelling the way we did sexually. So when I saw you on the arm of that venture capitalist that you went to college with the week after you broke up with me on social media, I was a little in my feelings. You may not have thought a lot of the consequences of your actions then, but my heart was broken. I loved you with my everything," he told her coolly. "At least I thought I did. Our breakup and everything going on in my life with Lynne and my job these past months have made me do some deep thinking about what I really, truly wanted out of my life. As a result, I was cautious of everything when we got back together."

"So you're telling me that this whole time I was wasting my time because you weren't even trying?" She asked with an accusatory tone, eyes glaring.

"Do not put words in my mouth. I said I was cautious. I wanted to see if we could capture the fire that burned for us before the breakup. When I noticed that you still wouldn't allow me into all the aspects of your life the way I did, I realized, you were still separating me from a large, important part of your life. If we were going to be together, it needed to be all in Ronnie. And when you didn't give me your everything, I guarded myself. I wasn't ready to be hurt all over again. It wasn't just me anymore, there were too many lives involved this time. "

"Again you're thinking about her when you should be focused on our relationship."  She huffed out a breath before stating, "she finally got what she always wanted."