Chapter 62

"What are you two doing here? I had plans to come by the restaurant later and see how your classes are going," she told Rose before turning to Bao. He was taller than Huan by about three inches and kept his onyx-black hair cropped close to his head. Bao appeared stern and intense when you first met him, a persona that did him wonders in his line of business. However, he was an affable man once he deemed you worthy of his time and Lynne's ally for messing with Huan when they went places together. "And shouldn't you be in LA or something? Wining and dining your clients whilst running the Wu Stationary Dynasty so your parents can retire early. Living it up with your new lawyer girlfriend. Isn't that your thing?"

"Well, someone had to run the business when mom and papa flew here to be with Auntie Ying while Huan was in the coma. As soon as things were set up where I could be away for a week, I hopped on a plane," he told her as he shrugged his shoulders like it was no big deal.

"You're a good cousin for dropping by and picking this one up for a visit as well," Lynne responded, indicating Rose.

"I'll expect a plaque stating that at the next family gathering," he said, smugly.

"I'll get riiiiiiiiiiiiggghhht on that," Rose replied, rolling her eyes at him. "But yeah, I'm kinda hurt you didn't tell me it was Huan's baby," she told Lynne, poking her in the side. "Once I saw the ultrasound photo, you should've told me everything."

"Why did she get to see the sonogram already? I thought we were besties. I'm unbelievably hurt, Mini-Lynne," he told her, bringing a hand to his chest to feign hurt.

"I have a feeling you'll get over it, Bao. And Rose saw it by a complete fluke when she dropped by Huan's apartment. Look, if it'll make you feel any better, you can both see the most recently updated one," she told them as she pulled the photo up on her phone. "Here."

Plucking the phone from her hand, Bao swiped through her 4-month sonogram photos, "it's an alien," he cooed before handing the phone over to Rose and looking at Lynne. "Where exactly are you hiding it?" He asked, eyeing her midsection.

"I'm still in the early months, but it's in there. It's all thanks to the art of creative dressing that I'm not showing as much. Now enough about me, let's go see if that cousin of yours has woken up yet."

XXX

A few days later, Lynne found herself in the cafeteria having a cup of tea with Huan's mother. Her heart raced with both anticipation and worry as they had been told earlier that day that Huan would be cleared to go home in the next two days. Unfortunately, that meant that he wouldn't be able to accompany Lynne to her follow-up appointment with Dr. Ulias the following day. Lynne was fine with that aspect, whether it be positive or negative, she would actually rather receive the news alone.

No, what had her insides in a knot was Huan's insistence to return to his own apartment to convalesce. He longed for the familiarity of his own space. Lynne understood his sentiments, but she couldn't shake off the worries that gnawed at her insides. What if he fell? What if his stitches opened up and he was alone? He could get dizzy and pass out if no one was with him. She really couldn't take anymore time off of work without filing for FMLA, but she was trying to hold onto that time for after she delivered.

So when she got off of work and come by to check on him, she sent a message to Mama Zhang to speak with her away from Huan's prying ears.

"Mama Ying," Lynne began tentatively, her voice laced with concern, "I'm really worried about Huan going back to his apartment right away. He's still recovering, and I fear he might overexert himself or neglect his well-being. I mean, he could come to my place. I could get a ramp for the three steps to get inside my place so he wouldn't have to deal with them. But I have a guest bedroom he can use on the first floor and he'd have more space to relax than that cramped apartment. I'd have to find out how to get his therapists and stuff out for home visits. Hopefully, I can schedule them in the afternoon when I get home from work and all."