Chapter 57

Lynne pulled her jacket tighter around her frame as a stiff breeze flew through the air. The winter chill had finally settled on the eastern seaboard that February. After taking a walk around several blocks and stopping at a food cart for a gyro, she was alone with her thoughts on a bench. People in business attire were hustling on their way to and from lunch breaks. A large group of German-speaking tourists were following behind a guide with a scarf on a stick as they navigated the sidewalks of Manhattan. However, so deep in her own thoughts, the noise didn't affect her. She simply gnawed at her food, chewing but not tasting it, while she let the relief that Huan was awake wash over her. He was going to be ok. The world wouldn't lose a promising medical mind. His mother wouldn't have to bury her only son. She wouldn't have to raise the baby without its father.

"Miss? Are you ok?" She was jarred out of her own reverie when she felt a hand lightly touch her shoulder. Looking up she stared into the weather-beaten face of a kindly older, brown-skinned woman. "Is everything alright? Crying alone like that in this weather will likely freeze your face."

Had she been crying? Touching her free hand to her face, Lynne felt the tell-tale wetness across her cheek. "I'm ok," she said with a small sniffle. "Thank you for asking. My friend was in an accident last week and just woke up after being in a coma we did not know he would wake up from. I guess I'm just processing."

"Thank the Lord for that. I'm glad your friend is getting better. A miracle like that should be celebrated. But, you should go inside somewhere warm though. Let those tears of joy of yours not lead to you getting sick as well. This weather is biting." The older woman patted Lynne's shoulder reassuringly.

"Yea, I should be getting back. It was nice speaking with you ma'am." She gave the woman a watery smile and a wave as she got up, tossing the wrapper of her sandwich into the trash.

"Take care of yourself young lady."

Lynne was left with her thoughts again as she started trekking in the direction of the immense hospital building. Now that Huan was awake, she could focus on how exactly they were going to break the news to their parents about the baby. Sure, his mom knew that she was pregnant, but they hadn't yet told her that he was the father. That was an added stressor that in the scope of things Ying hadn't needed piled on her plate.

Once Huan was released from the hospital and on the mend, they would be able to reform the plan and sit her down together to tell her Yeah; that'll work. She hoped that divulging this information wouldn't warp Ying's feelings for Lynne. The woman had always been like her own second mother. While they were growing up, Ying had allowed her to come and go at all times through her house with her son. She fed Lynne, gave her advice, and doted on her. After her husband had died during Huan's second year of medical school, she transplanted herself to Queens to be closer to her pseudo-sister, Lijuan, and her extended family. When she was in the city and had free time, Lynne always made it a point to visit her 'Mama Ying,' bringing her favorite baked goods with her to share with a cup of good tea. How would the older woman react to her when she learned that she was carrying her first grandchild?

Entering the hospital lobby, she nodded her head at the security guard, Rolland, who returned it with a small smile. She had become cordial with the older man over the past week. Walking toward the elevator bank she rubbed her hands up and down her arms to try and ease her nerves and heat up her body as she waited for the doors to open. When she finally got into the elevator she was joined by a couple of hospital staff members that had come by to visit Huan's room a few days ago. Noticing her at the back of the elevator they asked how he was doing and she let them know he had finally woken up an hour ago.

The shorter one who she remembered as Dr. Hatcher, "that's great to hear! We'll have to tell everyone in the Surgical Recovery Unit. We've really all been pulling for him. Please let him know we will be by to visit him later on." She nodded politely at them as she got off the elevator before them.