Chapter 63

Lynne stepped into the bright waiting room of Dr. Ulias's office, her heart pounding with anxiety. The air was filled with a chorus of murmurs and the faint sound of a melancholic tune playing in the background. She clutched a worn-out novel tightly, seeking comfort in its familiar pages. It was her age-worn, second-hand-shop bought copy of "The Bluest Eye." Reading was her happy place and something about that book called to her at every stage of her life.

As Lynne took a seat, her gaze wandered to her phone. She didn't know why she kept hoping to see a text or call from her mother or father. She had sent them a message the day before to invite them over for dinner and she wanted to make sure that they did not cancel on her. If she and Huan were going to continue to take on the universe and all it had to offer her, she needed to do her part and make amends with her parents.

Letting the loneliness of attending this vital appointment on her own creep into her thoughts was only intensifying her worries.

A gentle voice called her name, pulling Lynne from her thoughts. It was the receptionist, her voice filled with warmth.

"Lynne Prentice?"

With a nervous breath, Lynne rose from her seat, gathering her belongings and thoughts. She walked towards the door that led to the doctor's office, her steps heavy with trepidation.

Inside the examination room, Dr. Ulias, sat behind her desk, reading glasses perched on her nose, studying Lynne's medical file.

Lynne settled onto the examination table, her hands tightly clasped, anxiety etched across her face. Tears threatened to spill from her eyes. Remember Lynne, positoovity.

Dr. Ulias looked up from the file, meeting Lynne's gaze with empathy.

"How are you feeling, Lynne?"

Her voice trembling, Lynne mustered a reply, her vulnerability laid bare.

"Still battling the morning sickness each day, tired as always, and I'm...in all honesty I'm scared, Dr. Ulias. After the threatened miscarriage, I don't know if everything is okay with the baby."

Dr. Ulias's touch was gentle as she rested her hand on Lynne's arm, offering solace in her presence.

"I understand your concerns, Lynne. We'll do everything we can to make sure you and your baby are healthy. Let's start with an ultrasound, shall we?"

Lynne nodded, grateful for the doctor's reassurance. As Dr. Ulias began the ultrasound, Lynne's eyes fixated on the screen, her heart in her throat. A mixture of relief and joy washed over her as the image of her baby materialized, a tiny and fragile form. "Mama's little mooncake," she whispered in awe.

When the doctor turned on the sound and that rapid whoosh-whoosh hit the air, tears of gratitude spilled from Lynne's eyes, and she reached for a tissue from the box nearby to wipe them away.

"Thank you, thank you so much, Dr. Ulias."

Dr. Ulias smiled, sharing in Lynne's emotional release.

"You're welcome, Lynne. Remember, I'm here to support you through this journey. Is there anything else you'd like to discuss? I see you're flying solo today. How's my doctor-friend doing in recovery?"

"He's much better. They're actually going to release him tomorrow."

"Well, that is fantastic news. And this gives you even more to celebrate together. You should do something special."

"I'll think of something," Lynne said with a weak smile that didn't quite reach her eyes.

Concerned by Lynne's muted reaction, Dr. Ulias pressed the younger woman, "seeing as how I have about fifteen minutes before my next appointment, I'm going to speak to you off the record for the next few. Are you sure you're ok, Lynne?"