Chapter 40

Lynne bounced around visiting her siblings' families during the day while she spent a few more nights at her parents' house. When she finally transferred her last gift from her trunk into her living room, she dropped on the couch and let out a long sigh of relief. She adored her family, but all that constant human interaction was overwhelming to her senses. Factor in the news that Kris and Nat had given her, and she was a ball of well-contained nerves. What she wanted was a long scorching hot shower to relax her muscles, followed by a glass of Riesling to unwind with, but that was not possible. She'd have to settle for a warm bath, some tea, and a nap.

Hours later, squeaky clean and feeling a bit better, she settled on her bed to organize the gifts. When she got to an envelope with her name on it, she tilted her head in confusion, before remembering that Huan had slid it in her purse while she was driving them back to his apartment. After all that had transpired in the past almost week, she never had the chance to open it.

Sliding her finger under the back to open it, she pulled out a piece of paper. Unfolding it, three pieces of paper dropped into her lap. Reading the message scrawled on the paper first, a smile blossomed on her face.

Lynne,

Carpet Diem. I think it means to rip the rug out from under your life and do what you want, not what people expect of you. Don't trust me, though. My latin is a little rusty at this age. Take someone who deserves it with you. If you can't find anyone, just give me a ring.

Alistair

Placing the note down on the bed, she picked up the three pieces of paper she had dropped. Her eyes enlarged to the size of saucers when she saw that two of them were vouchers for the VIP spa package she had been eyeing at the gala. "No freaking way!" The third piece of paper was a small, embossed business card. Running her fingers over the letters she read out "Alistair Eugenides CFO for the MCE Group."

Tapping the businesscard on the side of her head she tried to place where she had heard the name before, but came up empty. "Eh, I'll look it up later." After tacking the envelope with the vouchers and business card on the cork board on her wall, she put away her gifts, fixed herself a light snack, and crawled into bed. For once, she had no plans for the day and wanted to relish in the bliss of doing nothing and expecting nothing.

Lynne was drawn out of her relaxed state when her phone started blaring a new ringtone she couldn't place. Picking up her phone she saw the cheerful face of Ava on her screen. She slapped a hand over her eyes before picking up, "When and why did you change both your ringtone and profile picture on my phone?"

"And a merry hello to you too Lynne!"

"Hiya Ava. Still the same question."

"OH who knows. I do so much. How do you expect me to remember it all? I live in the now. Now open your front door please?"

"Ava, it's 7pm. Why would I do that?"

"Because I'm standing here with an authentic Momma Doherty cannoli cream pie special delivery in my hand. Now open up woman!"

Lynne looked at the phone and shook her head before hanging up. Heading to her front door and unlocking it, she let Ava in with a flourish, "after you madam."

"Woah, you look beat," Ava told her as she walked in and dropped the food on the table next to the couch before sitting down on it.

"Just gonna give you a word of warning, that's on the list of things you are not supposed to say to pregnant women," Lynne informed her friend as she closed the door, before heading into her kitchen to grab a few plates, a knife, and forks. Coming back she placed them on the table before plopping back down next to her friend. "But you would be correct, I am a bit tired. It's my new normal though."

"Tragic. So, how were your holidays?"

"Great. I enjoyed the family time."

"As you always do. Playing around with all the little chickadees of your siblings. Getting all that practice in before your own little monster joins the fray."

"I'm just going to roll past that statement," Lynne told her as she pulled the cake over and cut herself a hunk of a piece. She had been trying her best to stick to healthy foods, but there was nothing like the fluffy heaven that Ava's mother crafted in the kitchen. YOLO, right? "So what brings you to my humble abode when you could be home lounging about like I had been doing myself?"

"Just wanted to know if you would like to join me and Keith down the shore for New Year's? We're going to enjoy the sights, do some gambling, countdown with other heathens, and then do our polar bear plunge for charity on New Year's Day. I know you won't be able to partake in the plunge, but you can do everything else."

"As much as I would love to join you and the other heathens for the celebration, I plan to ring in the new year from the comfort of my couch. It's been a whirlwind from the gala till now. My body needs a rest," she told her as she sunk her teeth into the delectable bite on her fork. An almost obscene moan left her lips as she swallowed the first bite. "Damn, this is so good. Do you think your ma is willing to go on retainer for me? I may just need a weekly standing order of this for the next few months."

"Hmm. I'll ask her the next time I see her. Tell me about the gala. We haven't spoken since we exchanged gifts after work. You need to catch me up. And thank you for my luggage, by the way. I now understand why it was marked, "do not open until after Keith says so."

"Well when your friend is going on a week-long cruise to Aruba with her husband, you can't consider yourself a good friend if you let her go with luggage that is held together by duct tape and promises."

"Again thanks. Now, give me the good gossip. I'm an old lady who lives vicariously through you."

"We both know that is bull. You are the one who lives life to the utmost at each pass you get. I'm two steps away from spinsterhood on a good day."

"Lies. Quit dancing around the subject Prentice. How was the gala?"

"It was equal parts exquisite and overwhelming. But I had fun. I smiled, did the conversation thing, and made Huan look good like I promised him I would. Despite his disbelief in himself, he was named "Fellow of the Year," which I think just might solidify him clenching that attending position he applied for. But that's up to the universe."

"Good for him. Not only a pretty face, but he's smart too. Look at that. Did you guys do anything to celebrate his victoire?"

"Not that night, he was pretty trashed, but..." Lynne stuffed a bite of pie into her mouth as she let Ava fill in the blanks herself.

"Shhhhhiiiiiiitttt! I knew I was right. You did plan to give him that good-good for Christmas. I should have bet on it! No wonder you want to rest. He wore you out and you didn't get to recover properly with the holidays. Did your family notice you walking bow-legged when you showed up?" Ava asked her with a mischievous glint in her eyes.

"Why? Why do you have to always go there?" Lynne remarked as she shook her head and finished the last bite of her slice of pie. "I mean there was mild soreness. But I don't think it was noticeable." She racked her brain to go over her stance when she arrived at her parents' house on Christmas Eve trying to see if there was anything to notice. She was brought out of her trip down memory lane by Ava's cackles.

"You actually started thinking hard about it," she remarked through giggles. "I'm jealous. I wish Keith would still fuck me so hard I couldn't walk straight."

"Why did I ever let an old horny hag, trick me into becoming her friend?" Lynne asked as she got up from the couch and walked into the kitchen to clean her plate.

"Cause no matter how hard you fight it, you loves me!" Ava shouted as she dug into her own slice of pie.

---

A/N: Don't forget to like, comment, and share!