Chapter 42

"Are you sure you're going to be able to stay up until midnight and watch the ball drop tonight?" Huan asked Lynne as he buttoned his navy linen long-sleeved shirt. It went well with his khaki chinos and braided belt.

"I prepped for this Huan. I know I sleep for most of the day now, but all I've done today was rest. I plan to drink only water and an occasional ginger ale. As long as the conversation is stimulating or the music is pulsing, I'll be able to keep myself awake."

Huan was hesitant to accept her explanation, but ended up shrugging his shoulders at her. "As long as you don't overdo it with the dancing. You know how you get."

"Now that promise I definitely can't make when we both know I'll break it. Be reasonable," she told him, cocking an eyebrow in his direction from her spot on his couch.

"If you don't take it seriously, I will call your parents and tell them you're pregnant at midnight." He mimed holding a cell phone to his ear. "Happy New Year, Mr. and Mrs. Prentice, and while I have you on the phone...Congratulations, Lynne's having your next grandchild with me in June."

"That's low, even for you." She remarked with narrowed eyes.

"Anything to protect the mother of my child from herself. Don't tempt me. Plus, I remember your threats to call my mother when I was sick."

"YOU were being unreasonable at the time. But whatever. FINE! Fine. I'll take it easy with the dancing. Just holster that damn phone call."

"Deal." He looked down at his watch. "We should get going," he told her as he shrugged on his jacket and opened the door. "After you mademoiselle."

XXX

"Fucking-A, you really showed up, gorgeous!" Edgar exclaimed, excitedly as he wrapped Lynne in one of his signature bear hugs. His nearly six foot two frame, chiseled features, golden tan, and muscles led many to think he was a professional athlete, not a pediatrician. "I didn't think you'd actually come," he told her as he shook his shaggy blonde hair in disbelief. "Let me look at you."

Lynne didn't think she was much to look at, but Edgar had always been kind hearted. She didn't feel all that appealing these days with the extra jiggle to her hips and butt as well as the increase in her bust. She had thrown on a pair of black faux-leather leggings and a shimmery dark hunter green, wide-sleeved, surplice blouse with a crossover neckline. A pair of sensible black low-heeled pumps were on her feet. It was nothing spectacular, but it worked for her covering the bits that needed hiding.

"Eh. Not much to look at. We all know you're the pretty one. I'm just here for the free food in exchange with being a designated driver. I'd much rather be home ringing in the new year on my couch with a cup of hot chocolate. But I didn't have a good enough excuse to deter Huan from getting me to come, especially when my presence had been requested," she told him cheekily.

"That's so pitiful sounding," he replied, his eyes crinkling at the edges.

"You say pitiful, I say stress-free. I guess not so stress-free if I have to make sure this one" she poked a finger in Huan's direction over her shoulder, "doesn't get trashed and taken advantage of by some slutty co-ed."

"So...there is no difference tonight than any party we've gone to with him in the past."

"Pretty much. I'm used to it now," she answered with a shrug.

"I don't know why you haven't yet kicked him to the curb and realized you could do better for friends. I could always take his place as your bestie," Edgar stated with a smug grin on his face.

"When the notion finally hits me, you're near the top of my list."

"Hey, I'm standing right here; I can take care of myself, you know." Huan defended.

"Did you hear something?" Edgar asked Lynne.

"Sounds like the whines of a repeat offender."

The sound of a throat clearing interrupted Edgar and Lynne's banter.

"Oop. Where are my manners?" Edgar said as he wrapped an arm around the pale woman in a gold and black colorblock sequin long-sleeve blazer dress that accentuated her ample chest and toned legs. Her long red hair fell down her back in gentle beach waves. "This lovely jewel is my girlfriend, Hailey," he placed a kiss on her cheek. "Hailey, this is my old roommate Huan," Huan took her hand and kissed the top of it. "The schmoozer. And this is Triple L: Little Lady Lyndy. Whenever she visited us during med school she made sure we ate something other than ramen noodles, pizza, and takeout."

Lynne took her hand and shook it. "Nice to meet you Hailey."

"Nice to meet you as well. I guess I owe you a thanks for helping to keep my man healthy."

"One would think that health professionals would be better at taking care of their own health. But not so much. I didn't do much really. It was more a side effect of me not wanting to eat like a frat boy each time I visited. Plus they paid for the groceries. I just cooked them and left them with easy to follow recipes when I wasn't there."

"Either way, thank you." She noted their empty hands and declared, "you two need drinks. Let me go get you some punch," she said as she turned to retrieve their drinks.

"None for me," Lynne stated. "I'm not drinking tonight. Designated driver."

"Come on, one drink isn't going to kill yah," Hailey suggested, crossing her arms in front of her chest.

"The meds I'm taking say otherwise." Lynne retorted, curtly. Edgar raised his eyebrows in concern at her. "It's stress-induced gastritis. Kind of put a damper on being a lush this holiday season."

"That's ok Lynne. We'll leave you two to get your own drinks. Mix and mingle, I'll catch up with you later. Honey, more of your friends just walked in, let's go greet them," Edgar suggested as he ushered Hailey toward the door.

XXX

A/N: Hello lovelies. I know it has been a while since the last update, but my creativity tank has been running on empty lately. I got a momentary burst to update these two chapters, but don't see myself being able to update any time soon. Please stick with me though, I will return. :)