Chapter 12

Huan had been observing Lynne interact with her family throughout the duration of the party. All he saw were more reasons to be content with the fact that they were having a child together. Her family was a force to be reckoned with yes, but they were fiercely loyal, protective, and loving. Even now, his best friend was all smiles and giggles as she picked up Hannah, Elisa's eight-year old daughter and the only hearing member of their family, and rocked her from side to side to the music that was playing overhead. The smile that had been covering his face slowly faded when he noticed something was wrong. Lynne swung Hannah in a circle and quickly put the girl back down, stumbling slightly on her feet. She then steadied herself with a hand firmly gripping the back of a nearby chair. Excusing himself from the conversation he was having with Yolanda, Vinny, and Mrs. Prentice, Huan was at her side in a heartbeat. "Are you ok?" He asked her, concern written all over his face.

"Just a little dizzy. I guess I'm not as young as I used to be. Sorry Hannah-banana, auntie is gonna have to make this dance up to you later, kay?" She retrieved a bill from her pocket and held it out. "Here, take this twenty dollars over to the arcade with your siblings and cousins."

The little girl squealed in delight as she kissed her aunt on the cheek and grabbed the bill before running over to where her siblings and cousins were sitting.

"Come on. Let's sit down. You haven't eaten yet have you?" Huan asked her, escorting her over to a table where Kris and Natalia were sitting.

"No, I did. I ate the food we ordered....nope. No, I didn't. I gave it to the kids after I nibbled on a couple fries." He raised an eyebrow at her in question. "The food for the party hadn't been set out yet and they came at me with their little 'auntie if we don't eat something now we're going to die of starvation' faces and you know I can't resist them. Then I kinda got swept up in playing with the nieces and nephews since I haven't seen them all in so long."

"You have to eat Lynne. Your blood sugar is probably low." He grabbed her hand and pinched the flesh on top of it. Shaking his head from side to side he told her, "and it seems you're a little dehydrated. Have you had any water?"

"Nope, she's been sipping beer all afternoon and now night. Too busy socializing," Kris interjected from his seat a few feet away, not taking his eyes off of the television in the corner. Of course he had been paying attention to her intake.

But it's not beer, it's tea Kris.  Calm down. She mentally chided her brother.

"Exactly. All of those factors, plus your work schedule having you burn the candle at both ends, equals dizzy spells and a multitude of other things that can go wrong for your health." He lectured her, his eyes boring into hers.

"Listen to your doctor-friend Lynne. He actually knows what he is talking about for once." Kris told her, his eyes landing on her.

"Sit and drink some water. I'll go get you a plate." Huan instructed as he placed his glass of water in front of her before he walked over to where the food was set up.

Once Huan was out of earshot Natalia leaned over to her, "girl, you need to snatch him up before he gets another girlfriend."

Lynne rolled her eyes at her overeager sister-in-law. "Whomever wants Huan, can have him. He's my best friend, pretty much my fourth brother now."

"Pretty much, but not your blood. I mean he's sweet, caring, got a take-charge attitude, not hard on the eyes, plus a DOCTOR! You really can't do any better Lynne. Present company excluded of course." She said, placing a kiss on Kris's cheek. 

"Thanks for the advice. I'm going to change this conversation now. How's work been Nat? Anyone interesting drop by your hotel lately?"

"Don't believe for one second I will be deterred Lynne. You've been single for what like three years now? Since that Orlando guy dumped you. Your cooch is probably covered in cobwebs."