Chapter 21

Saturday flew by with Lynne still nursing an ailing Huan, despite his constant pleas for her to go home since he could take care of himself. She consistently shot-down his demands, staying resolute in her decision to spend her weekend with him. They both lounged around his apartment, keeping a safe distance from each other, watching whatever they agreed upon, Lynne catching up on work she had brought with her, and napping when their bodies called for it.

Even after Lynne plied Huan with fluids, remedies, and medication, his last temperature reading of the day was 101.8F. Not exactly out of the woods yet, but heading in the right direction.

Early Sunday, Huan took up residence on the couch, flipping through channels and landing on a thriller while Lynne made them a breakfast consisting of rice porridge, orange slices, and peppermint tea. After they finished breakfast, Huan fell asleep on the couch while Lynne went to tidy up his bedroom.

Donning her mask and gloves, she picked up the crumpled tissues he had used throughout the night, threw out the empty water bottles, and replaced the cap on the Gatorade she had left him.

Taking in the stale smell of sweat on his sheets, she decided to strip the bed. Walking over to his closet to see if he had any other bedding to replace it with, she noticed the overflow of his hamper. "Lynne, I can take care of myself. I'm a big strong man who doesn't know when to ask for help, especially when I'm sick. Just let me work myself to death until I crumble over," she mocked in a deep sing-song voice as she grabbed an empty duffle bag from his closet and stuffed the excess dirty clothes as well as the dirty bed sheets into it. Finally locating her initial quarry, she put the grey bed set on his bed.

Once she had finished with Huan's room she grabbed his hamper and the duffle bag and walked back into the living room. Looking down she saw him resting peacefully as the movie on tv was watching him. Shaking her head at the comical sight, she adjusted the blanket around him. Writing a quick note to let him know where she went if he woke up, she gathered his laundry, detergent, and her bookbag, then headed out to her car.

Twenty minutes and an almost endless hunt for street parking later, Lynne walked into the Dirty Sudz laundromat and started on Huan's laundry. Once everything was in the machines, she pulled a historical fiction novel out of her bag and sank down into a seat, keeping an eye on her machines. She was so engrossed in the novel that when her phone started ringing she was startled enough to jump up. Laughing at herself, she picked it up and answered with a chipper, "Rosey baby, how are you this morning?"

"I'm great this morning Lynne. Excited to see you today. I have soooo many questions for you," the younger girl stated through the phone. "Are you still dropping by the restaurant at ten? Are you on your way to the city yet?"

"Well, as luck would have it, I'm already in the city. However, would you mind coming over to your cousin's place to work instead? It'll be much quieter than the restaurant and I bet you'd be much more relaxed not having your parents hovering behind you the whole time."

"That sounds like a win-win for me. Does Huan know we're coming?"

"Well no. But I've been taking care of him this weekend. He decided to get sick and overwork himself all at once. So it'll be easier for me to keep an eye on him while I help you with your homework this way. Sounds like a plan?"

"Most definitely."

"Sweet. I'm at the laundromat. I'll text you the address, just take the subway to here and I'll drive us both back to your cousin's."

"Cool! I'll see you soon Lynne. Bye!"

"Bye dear."

XXX

"I'm actually really glad that you told me to meet you here instead of at my parent's restaurant, Lynne. It gets me out of having to work in the kitchen this afternoon. I didn't want to spend yet another Sunday sweating over a steam tray or wok. And since I told my mom you were helping me with college preparations and Algebra homework, she actually gave me the afternoon off. I think she loves the fact that you helping me keeps her from having to pay for cram school. I have to be back by the evening shift though. Do you mind dropping me off?" She asked as she dropped her bag on the table in Huan's living room.

"Certainly, my dear. Prentice Motors is always available to a Zhang in need," she answered as she walked into Huan's bedroom to drop off the now clean laundry. The sound of running water keyed her into his whereabouts. "You've got clean clothes to wear now," she hollered to him over the sounds of his shower before she walked back into the living room. Plopping herself on one of the chairs, she propped her feet up on the table and started on her mental checklist of things to prepare for work in the morning. "How have things been going with Judi? Have you seen any improvements?"

"Yeah, she definitely knows her way around the English language. And I'm reaping those benefits. My Language Arts teacher commented on my first major paper, impressed with my writing," she paused to curl a strand of her hair, which she had left down today, around her finger. "I mean Judi is a good tutor and I cannot thank you enough for giving me her information. However, she still isn't as clear when explaining math like you are. I feel like she glosses over some parts that leave my brain muddled when I try to wrap my head around my answers. Hence me asking you and not her for help on the Algebra."

"Ok, that's a valid complaint. People can understand math, but still suck at translating things to others. Have no fear, my dear. Leave your problems with polynomials to me," she said with a small smile on her face and a glint in her eyes,

"Awesome! But first let me go get a glass of water." Rose made a beeline for Huan's kitchen while Lynne set up her makeshift classroom, sitting on the floor in front of the couch, her legs underneath the coffee table. Opening Rose's bag, she grabbed the thick Algebra textbook and skimmed through it. A host of memories flooded through her mind of her own journey with numbers from Elementary School through Graduate school. Her mind was always at ease when it came to numbers. Numbers had rules and patterns. They were never unexpected. Once a person could grasp the rules, everything else would fall in line. Placing the book on the table, she rested her head back against the cushions. When Rose did not return after a few minutes, Lynne grew concerned.

"Rosebud, did you get lost in there?" She asked in jest.

There was silence for a few seconds before Rose's voice cut through the air, "nope, didn't get lost, but it seems I've found something interesting, it seems like I should be congratulating you," coming back into the room, the younger girl stated as she held up the ultrasound photo that Huan had taped to his refrigerator.

"Shit." Lynne cursed under her breath, her eyes going wide. "I can explain."

XXX
A/N: I'm glad to be back after my brief hiatus. Don't forget to like, comment, and share with your friends. See you all next chapter!