Telling The Girls

"What am I going to tell them?" 

Kaya stared at Jade's apartment door as if that would clear her head. 

Ransom chuckled. "I don't know. That's why I didn't call them. Tell them whatever you want." 

"It's not that easy." 

He should know that. Ransom grew up with Jade. He should understand her dramatics. Lina came along later, but he had met her enough times to know that she overreacted. On the daily. 

Ransom rested his palm against the back of Kaya's head. "They won't kill you. They're your friends." 

"You can't prove that." Kaya pouted. 

"Perhaps not, but Jade knows that she'll be in trouble if she so much as touches a hair on your head." 

Kaya blinked. If she didn't know better, she might take that as a fiercely protective statement. Why would Ransom be so protective of her when they clearly only met a few weeks ago? It didn't make sense. Like a lot of things, lately. 

"They're going to be angry that I didn't call them while I was in the hospital." 

"It's only been a few hours." 

Kaya blew out a breath. It was well past midnight. She could only imagine the scenarios that her friends would come up with. Although, it still seemed strange that they hadn't called.

"Do I need to come in with you?" Ransom bent to ask. 

Kaya considered it. Her throat was still scratchy, so she could use the excuse of Ransom needing to speak for her. If he went inside with her, Kaya didn't have to worry about being railroaded. 

Decision made, Kaya nodded. 

Ransom chuckled again. "Alright. Let's go." 

Kaya wanted to protest, but she didn't dare. Ransom hadn't taken any arguments from her since she woke up at the hospital. 

Ransom nudged Kaya forward. "Jade changed the passcode. You know it, right?" 

Of course. How would she not know? Jade made her repeat it back five times before she left the house. 

Kaya opened the keypad and tapped in the string of numbers that would unlock the door. 

Beep, beep, beep. The light flashed, then the lock clicked. 

Kaya took a breath, pushed down the handle, and opened the door. 

"Kaya!" Lina came running from the living area. "Where were you? We thought you got abducted or something!"

"Oh. No. I didn't." Kaya shook her head as she kicked her shoes off in the entryway. 

Jade stood from the couch when she noticed Ransom entering behind Kaya. She threw her cousin a look that Kaya couldn't quite decipher. 

Lina took Kaya's face in between her palms and pressed. Hard. "Where have you been, little miss?" 

"Um... out." Useless. Kaya had never been a good liar. 

"Out?" Lina clucked her tongue. "Out?! Do you have any idea what time it is right now?" 

"Late..." Kaya tried to figure out a solid reason why she would stay out so late. Nothing came to her. 

Jade stared only at her cousin. "The two of you were together?" 

"Someone had to sign paperwork for her at the hospital." 

Kaya shook off Lina's hold so she could turn to stare at Ransom. Hadn't he said he wouldn't mention anything about the hospital? Why did he have to throw her under the bus like that?

Jade arched her brows. "The hospital?" 

Lina reached out to pinch Kaya's arm. "Why didn't you say something? You could've called. Am I not your friend anymore?" 

Kaya wrinkled her nose. "You could have told me that your brother was signing on with Conditus." 

"My brother is doing what?"

Oh, great. It appeared they had more to discuss than Kaya originally anticipated. Kaya glanced to Ransom for help. 

Ransom simply shrugged.