The Auction Gala (pt. 3)

The ballroom lights shone across a dozen or more crystal vases, scattered on the same amount of white-swathed tables. 

Some guests were already seated. Others wandered around, mingling and cultivating connections that would help them for their next business deal. Fake smiles on pretty faces. Not a single one of them looked genuinely happy to be there. 

None, except one bouncy woman who flitted from table to table like an overzealous butterfly. Red curls bounced around her face. An olive dress hugged her voluptuous curves tightly. 

Kaya liked her even less when she started their way. 

"Ransom, darling!" she threw her arms around his neck and pulled him close. 

Until that moment, Kaya had never seen Ransom look uncomfortable. His arms extended awkwardly away from his sides, his back stiff and his eyes squeezed shut. 

"It's been so long!" The woman released Ransom, only to clasp his jaw and drop a kiss to both of his cheeks. Then her gaze fell to Kaya. "Oh. You must be..." she wrinkled her nose. "Ransom, darling, why did you bring her? I thought tonight would be just the two of us." 

"As I've pointed out a number of times, I'm frightened of being alone with you." Ransom managed to extract himself from the woman's grasp, only to reach back and cling to Kaya's arm as if his life depended on it. "Leona, this is Kaya."

"I'm aware." Leona reached for Ransom's free arm. "I thought we had an understanding. You proposed!" 

Ransom laughed nervously. "No. No, I didn't." 

"I clearly remember our engagement. Aren't we engaged?" 

Kaya cleared her throat. "May I ask why you think so?" 

"He proposed!" Leona flailed her arms, her voice too loud for the current company. "What is a woman supposed to think when a man proposes?" 

"I didn't!" Ransom inhaled sharply, through his nose to keep his composure. "I didn't propose to you. I never dated you. I've never even liked you." 

Leona pouted at him. "You did, though. I said we should get together much more frequently, and you said I was a delight to work with and you would love to work with me exclusively." 

A proposal? Kaya didn't see where Leona got that, but Ransom had insisted Leona had a crazy side. He, apparently, hadn't been wrong. Kaya didn't even know where to begin. 

Ransom pinched two fingers against the bridge of his nose. "If I had known you would think of that as a proposal, I never would have said it." 

"No takesie-backsies!" Leona swiveled to lean her head against Ransom's shoulder. "Do you want to disappoint all the fans who want us to be together?" 

"Do you want to be sued for sexual harassment?" 

"You wouldn't do that." 

Ransom turned his head to glare down at Leona. 

Leona threw her hands in the air and took a step back. "Alright. I get the message. In public, we must be strangers. It's my lot. But I won't lose to the little chef." 

Ransom closed his eyes to take yet another deep breath. 

Kaya took a step closer to his side. "I'm sorry if you feel scorned, but I am dating Ransom right now. He's mine." 

She didn't know where the words came from. She only knew that she felt them deep in the pit of her stomach. Not that Leona had any chance of stealing Ransom from Kaya, but Kaya felt the need to back her off. 

Leona offered a wry smile and shook her head. "You've no idea how the world works, little Miss Parker. I've got my eye on you. Investigative and not." 

"Leona, we're in public." Ransom glared at her again. "Let's keep private matters out of it. Instead, I have a proposal for you. Journalistically speaking." 

"Oh, I do like a good challenge. Shall we speak in private?" 

Ransom shook his head. "Maybe later. For now, leave me and Kaya alone, would you?" 

"Not likely." Leona grinned. "I'm sitting with you. Where would you like to rest?"

Not for the first time, Kaya wondered why she bothered to attend this gala. Especially if Leona was going to steal all Ransom's time henceforth. Did he not have any attention left for Kaya?