Part-Time Assistant (pt. 4)

Though it took a lot of concentration to both eat and take minutes, Kaya managed it with a semi-graceful attitude. 

As Tobin had implied, the task was fairly simple. Kaya only hoped that Tobin could read her haphazard handwriting later. 

Mr. Nagano was nothing but courteous the entire meal. At one point, Kaya thought she saw him look sideways at her, as if he had questions, but he never said a word to her. In fact, he made sure she ate her fill and paused several times so she could finish writing her notes. 

Ransom seemed, overall, pleased with how the meeting went. Though Kaya only understood about half of what they said, since they used a mixture of English and another language that Kaya didn't speak, she took Ransom's satisfaction at face value. 

With a full stomach and a clear head, Kaya found the ride back to Conditus quite relaxing. Not something she would normally think.

Perhaps, on some level, Kaya felt comfortable in Ransom Lee's presence. 

At the entrance to the Conditus building, Ransom's entire entourage fell in line. They wouldn't escort him into the building, as it was his workplace. Kaya had seen the routine before. They would go back to their own posts inside once Ransom entered. 

She scrambled out of her side of the car. Part of her job was to stay three steps behind Ransom. She wouldn't mess it up now. 

The three steps rule went smoothly on their way into the building. 

Halfway between the doors and the security gates, a man waited. Two other black-garbed men stood sentry behind him. Upon spotting Ransom, all three went into motion. 

Ransom stopped in his tracks. 

Kaya stopped breathing. Her pile of notebooks clattered to the floor. Don't panic. 

Ransom shot a sideways glance toward Kaya, then stepped into her line of sight, effectively blocking her from the men. 

Kaya forced a breath into her lungs. She wouldn't lose it again. 

"CEO Lee," The man's voice was pleasant, calm and coaxing. "It turns out you're a hard man to meet with." 

"Only for those I don't wish to meet." Ransom remained calm and steady, as Kaya figured he would. 

Still, Kaya couldn't quite bring herself back to reality. Surely no one had seen her, right? Her fingers fisted in the back of Ransom's jacket, silently begging him not to give away her hiding spot. 

"I've told your secretary many times, terms are negotiable. I need a company who can handle my image. That's your company." 

Ransom took a half-step backward, an almost comforting gesture. "I told you before, I will not work with you. Not ever." 

"I'm sure we can discuss the fee..."

"It isn't about money." 

"Then what is it about?" 

"I don't cover up crimes." 

"What crimes? I may have a few morally unethical things in my past, but crimes?" The man laughed. 

"Hey, boss, what's going on?" Jacob's voice floated over from the security gates. 

One of Ransom's arms lifted, presumably to call Jacob over. 

Jacob came to a stop by Ransom and Kaya, his eyes focused on the latter. "What happened to Big Sis? Is she okay?" 

"Take her to the kitchens, would you?"

Jacob nodded and reached down to pry Kaya's fingers from Ransom's jacket. "Let's go, Big Sis."

Kaya couldn't say no to him. Leaving this situation was exactly what she wanted. So she released Ransom to hide against Jacob's side. 

"As I said," Ransom told the other man as Jacob and Kaya high-tailed it toward the kitchens, "I don't make deals with devils. See yourself out before I call security."