Telling The Girls (pt. 2)

"I think it's time we all have a conversation." Jade waved her hand toward the living room. "Everyone have a seat." 

"You're going to be gentle, aren't you?" Ransom folded his arms, his question more of a scolding than a query. 

Jade rolled her eyes. "Gentle isn't my nature, but I'll try." 

Lina grabbed Kaya's hand. "Come on. Let's get down to business." 

As if she had much choice. Lina's grip on Kaya's hand rivaled steel. Kaya followed along because she had no energy to do otherwise. 

Lina flopped onto the couch, settled Kaya beside her, and kept a firm grip on Kaya's hand. 

Ransom didn't even try to release Kaya from Lina's grasp. In fact, he didn't say much at all, aside from a brief, whispered conversation with his cousin. 

Jade waved him off and took her usual seat. The chair that Ransom had occupied on his first visit to Kaya. 

Ransom took the chair across from the sofa. 

"Let's start with the obvious elephant in the room." Jade leveled her gaze on Kaya. "Hospital?" 

"I had an allergic reaction to a sample of food. I'm okay." 

Jade wrinkled her brow. "Clearly not, if you went to the hospital." 

"I'm looking into it. You don't need to worry." Ransom met Jade with the same concerned stare she had been using on Kaya. 

Jade nodded once. "We'll discuss those details later. Now, what is this about Zoren?" 

"Yeah, what's my twin hiding?" Lina growled softly, as if she were prepared to go fight him instantly. 

Kaya sighed. "I don't know much. He showed up in Ransom's office today. And he seemed angry." 

"Yeah, well, that's understandable. At least he knows he's missing a good thing." Lina rolled her lips together hurriedly, as if she wasn't supposed to say that. 

Kaya tilted her head, curious. "What does that mean?" 

"Nothing..." 

Kaya had never seen Lina this nervous before. What kind of secret was this woman hiding? Did Zoren say or do something that he shouldn't have?

Ransom cleared his throat. "Let me explain, Kaya. It appears that Zoren... actually has feelings for you."

"What?" 

It shouldn't come as a surprise to her. Deep down, Kaya had always known something else lay behind Zoren's suggestion that she say they were dating. She didn't want to admit it, but Kaya had known. 

Ransom leaned forward, resting his arms on his thighs. "He decided to sign under Conditus for public relations purposes, but the real reason for his decision rested in one of my most valued employees." 

"Me?" Kaya tried to ignore the way her heart fluttered when Ransom referred to her as most valued. 

He always treated her like he cherished her. A feeling that Kaya had been sorely missing in her life. One she couldn't afford to take for granted. 

Ransom nodded his head. "He's in some sort of denial. I would caution you to be careful around him, but he is your friend, so do as you see fit." 

"Yeah, well, he's my brother, and let me tell you, he's getting an earful from me." Lina sprang to her feet. "I hate when he goes off the deep end like this. Don't worry, Kaya, I'll have him whipped into shape in no time." 

Kaya caught Lina's arm before she could storm off. "It's okay. We'll deal with it as it comes. I probably hurt him when I chose Ransom's offer over his. He's entitled to wounds, too." 

"Yes, but he isn't entitled to take it out on those around him. Nor is he entitled to not fill me in on what he's doing." Lina stomped a foot. "Ooh, he's gonna get it." 

Though she couldn't stop Lina from nagging at her brother, Kaya felt a portion of this responsibility lay on her own shoulders. Had she not been so fickle in the beginning, perhaps Zoren wouldn't have gotten hurt. 

Kaya knew all too well the ache of rejection.