Promises

Present Day...

Kaya didn't realize that Ransom had access to that much information. How could she? She hadn't realized he was the same boy she had a crush on so many years ago. The one with a killer smile and eyes that she could drown in. How did she not realize?

"Then you knew about the man in the lobby even though I didn't say anything. That's why you pushed me to tell you."

"I wanted you to trust me enough to let me know." Ransom's shoulders slumped. "It was too soon, but I so desperately wanted your trust." 

Kaya pulled her knees to her chest. How did this happen? She tried so hard to hide her past from everyone, so how did it pop up here, where she least expected it?

"I don't... know how to process this..." Kaya looked anywhere but at Ransom. How did she face him now that she knew that he knew all about her?

Though she wanted to hide away and forget everything, Kaya found herself pulled out of her fog by the gentle touch of Ransom's palms on her cheeks. 

"Don't pull away from me," Ransom implored. 

Kaya let his words settle over her like a mist. Though he knew, he didn't run away. He stayed close. Protected her. 

"Don't you know who he is?" 

"Of course I know." Ransom stroked a thumb under Kaya's eye. "That doesn't change how I feel about you. It doesn't change anything. I know... I know you might need time to gather your thoughts, but, please, don't pull away from me." 

Kaya wrinkled her nose. "No, not that. Do you know who he is? In relation to me?"

"Biologically? Your father."

"He's been trying to get rid of me since before I was born. He won't stop. Your uncle couldn't take him down a notch. What makes you think that you're any different?" 

Ransom chuckled. "My uncle worked for elites. I am an elite. I already have private investigators looking into him." 

"You won't find anything. All the evidence is gone. He has friends in the police." 

"No crime is perfect." Ransom stroked Kaya's cheek with his thumb again. "I'll find something, and when I do, I'll use the media to take him down. Public opinion is... a very strong motivator for public officials." 

"It won't work." 

Ransom shook his head. "It will. I'll do anything to assure that you're safe. My uncle and I weren't able to help your mother, but I won't let him destroy your life, as well." 

"It's better for me to live quietly and disappear." At least then he wouldn't have a reason to come after her. 

Ransom released Kaya's face to take her hands in his. "You're already in the public eye. People are watching your every move. Trust me, it won't be easy for him to do anything to you while you're by my side." 

Kaya weighed Ransom's words against what she knew. Her father. A man her mother once loved, until he abandoned her because of "a mistake." How could he think his own daughter was a mistake? That relentless, heartless man now had his sights on Kaya. 

"Can we really do it?" 

Ransom smiled warmly. "We're stronger together." 

As usual, Kaya found she believed him. Though he could easily have put her aside because of the danger surrounding her, Ransom chose instead to stay right next to her. 

A part of Kaya's heart melted, running in a stream toward the man in front of her. Kaya realized, now, with all the cards on the table and all the knowledge between them uncovered, that she might be irrevocably falling in love with Ransom Lee.