*30*

_________________________________________________________________________
Song recommendation:  Mic Drop (Steve Aokis remix)- BTS 
                                                   Fuck You - CeeLo Green
_________________________________________________________________________

The slap landed hard and unforgiving on his cheek. 

His head snapped back around, his eyes huge and filling with tears of shock, rather than pain. 
His father never hit him before- never laid a hand on him until now. 
His cheeks were red in anger, his nostrils blaring. 

"How dare you, Jungkook!? Do you have any idea how worried we were? Why did you leave the house in the middle of the night? We were about to call the police just now! It's ten in the morning on a school day!"

Yup.
He might have forgotten to text his parents last night, and neither he nor Jimin had set an alarm. And it was oh so sweet to wake up with Jimin in his arms.
He had wanted to stay, but the smaller basically threw him out the bed and told him to go home. and salvage what he could. 

He had done so with a very deep frown and not before he warned Jimin not to go home- or school. Or anywhere else, because he would be back.
Now he doubted that was an option. 

"I'm sorry father," he began, not sure how to explain. 
"It was an emergency. One of my friends was in trouble and I just had to go help."

"In the middle of the night?" He looked to his left where his mother leaned against the kitchen door, her face pale and tired, like she had been worrying all night.
He did feel guilty even as he regretted nothing, except maybe not letting them know he was fine. 

"Yes. I'm sorry I didn't text you, but I forgot my phone." 
"And your friends didn't have one? I swear to our Lord Savior, Jungkook, if you were out partying with those sinners, I will send you to boarding school where they teach you some real manners!"

He had to fight the urge to roll his eyes. It was always the same threat.
Always just empty words to scare him. But he still lowered his head, looking like the submissive, apologetic son they wanted to see. 

"I really am sorry father. And I promise I wasn't out partying. My friend really did need my help."

His father looked ready to smack him again, but then turned and cursed. His father... cursing...

"And this is why I had to cancel my meeting with the prime minister!"
OH... now it made sense.
This is why his father was that upset. 
It hurt, knowing it was only partly worry for his son, and much more because he had to cancel an important meeting for his upcoming election. 

It was his mother who surprised him the most though, as she took half a step forward, her eyes wide and glassy as she asked: "And is he okay now? You're friend?"

He'd never seen her so worried. 
In many ways, he always believed his mother to be the stricter one, but maybe that was just because his father was rarely home since he'd gone into politics and his mother had been in charge of his upbringing. 

He nodded his head. "Yes. He's okay now." 
And God, he hoped he was.
Leaving Jimin felt like walking out into a field of lava, every step away threatening to engulf him in a fiery death.

And because he was afraid.
Jimin had still not told him why he left him in the first place.
He said he would take care of it... but what did that mean?

"Okay then. But the next time this happens, we won't be so lenient. I raised you to be a good person and to help others when they need help, as our Lord taught us, but you should have let us know you were okay. Next time, call us, understood?" 
"Yes mother."
"Good. Get dressed. I'll drop you off at school."