𝐑𝐞𝐝𝐞𝐦𝐩𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧

First Grade, 1955

It was early in the morning, kids were going in and out of the playground. Porter's daughter skipped happily to the swings where Jordan sat talking with his boy friends.

"Hey Jordan, are you going you come to my house and play today?" She asked not caring if she disturbed the conversation. Everyone looked at her with discomfort.

"Who are you?" He pretended to be confused. She was surprised by his response.

"Don't be silly Jordan. You know who I am."

He laughed.

"Do you guys know her?" He asked the group, they shook their heads."No? Hm she must be irrelevant."

"Relatent? What's that? And why don't you recognize me? Did I hit you really yesterday? Are you losing your memory?" She put her hand on his forehead to check his temperature. He quickly smacked it away offended.

"What? NO!"

He walked up to her.

"I don't recognize you because I don't know you. You have no importance in life. Irrelevant. Do you need me to spell it out for you? I-R-R-E-L-E-V-A-N-T!" He stuck his tongue out at her after finishing his spelling.

"Why are you being mean? I thought we were friends." Harley cried.

"Don't jump to conclusions that easily Harley. No one really wants to be friends with someone like you." He shoved her down, making her fall on the dirt. Almost every kid in the playground began pointing at her and laughing.

Humiliated and betrayed, she stood to her feet as she broke down and ran as far as she could from him.

Later on That Same Year

Benny Rodriguez was walking home one day from school when Jordan ran to catch up to him.

"Hey Benny" His feet slid on the concrete stopping right beside him.

"Hi Phillips. What's up?" Benny asked, watching him exhale air lost from running.

"So you and Red, huh?" They began walking ahead.

"Harley? Oh yeah. She's still my girlfriend." He stated proudly as dating in the first grade was a great flex for any six year old.

Jordan huffed secretly, sucking in his envy. "Oh is she now?"

Benny nodded as they continued walking through the side walk.

"And Rodriguez, tell me. Has she told you about her condition?" Jordan put his arm around his shoulder.

Confusion dropped upon Benny.

"Condition?" He froze in his place.

"You know, her cooties." Jordan laughed acting as if it was common knowledge. Benny furrowed his eyebrows as Jordan began advising.

"You know if I was you I'd keep my distance, It's contagious. So I would forget about hugging, kissing, hand holding. Anything that involves you touching my- I mean Harley," He corrected fastly.

The shocking news frightened Benny of being exposed to the infection. Jordan smiled, accomplished after seeing his look of concern.

"Anyways I should leave. Bye!" He ran away, leaving Benny alone with his thoughts.

Third Grade, 1957

Harley was lined up for a huge water slide. She was excited as this her furst time being in an aquatic park when someone behind her said.