16| Heartbeat

"They have to be strong for her, anything for her"

Tw: (I don't know what kind of tw to put because she doesn't miscarry but it's close to it so just...beware)

Matheo

When the cup dropped it was as if the world stopped. The way she fell to the floor, the thump mirrored the crack in my heart.

The blood flowed as quickly as our tears. Her cries will never leave my mind.

I picked her up and ran to the car, the others with me. Everyone was yelling at each other. We panicked. I don't even think Aurora could hear us.

She just cried clutching her belly and repeated the same cries since the fucking cup dropped

My baby
It hurts
It hurts
Please help him
My baby
Please, please, please...

Our hearts broke. Everything passed in a blur. Doctor Garcia is trying to get Aurora to breathe but Rora is just yelling at her to check the baby's heartbeat first.

Tell me he's alive
Where's his heartbeat?
Why can't I hear his heartbeat?
Is he alive?
TELL ME!
Please, please, please

"EVERYONE SILENCE!" Dr. Garcia yells. I hadn't even noticed everyone else was yelling too and pleading for the baby to be okay. I could just hear my baby sister's cries.

We all pause, Rora is sobbing. The doctor is using the ultrasound moving it up and down. Seconds pass but it feels like eternity. We wait...

Thump, thump, thump...

Aurora cries harder.

"There's a heartbeat" Dr. Garcia says with a smile and proceeds to try to calm Aurora down but she's not having it.

She's hysterically sobbing. We all try to get to her at the same time but I'm faster. I hold her in my arms.

I've never seen her cry harder than she's right now. She's hiccuping and hyperventilating. She can't stop.

"Aurora, baby it's okay the baby is okay breathe. This isn't good for him. He's alive Aurora he's okay please calm down" I try

"I-I can'-t" she sobs

A nurse comes over and places and oxygen mask on her "Aurora we need you to calm down, you're having a panic attack. Breathe with me" the doctor tries.

"Aurora listen to me. Listen to my voice..." says Alessandro now beside her "...close your eyes okay? Just listen to my voice" he tries the 54321 technique we all recently learned.

Rora is breathing better now. Tears are still falling "he's okay, he's alive" she whispers

"Yes baby girl, my grandbaby is okay and so are you sweetie. It'll be okay" dad says as he kisses her forehead.

We're all still agitated so doctor Garcia instructs for everyone to sit down. Dad sits on the bed beside Rora clutching her hand.

Aurora

He's alive. My baby is alive. It's all I could think about. I've never been in such pain. I thought I'd lost him...or her.

"Let me explain what happened Rora is that okay?" Doctor Garcia asks and I nod. I still have the oxygen mask on since my O2 levels are not normal yet.

"You just experienced what we call a partial placental abruption. It means that part of your placenta separated from the uterine wall. Since the pregnancy is on its early stages it didn't decrease your baby's oxygen levels or affect his nutrient supply" Dr. García explains

"On your way here your dad called and explained what had happened, that's how we know it was caused by trauma. We will keep you overnight for observation and we will have more regular appointments" she tells me but noticed I'm still uneasy

"Your baby is okay Aurora, you're okay. It can be quite a scare, you're agitated and I'm gonna need you to keep focusing on your breathing okay? Everything will be okay. Do you want to listen to the heartbeat once more?" She says in an attempt to calm me down

"Yes please... and I'm sorry I yelled at you" I say regretfully

"Oh don't be, I understand. I would've done the same thing honey" she assures me

She puts on the monitor and there it is. My baby's heartbeat. It calms me so much. I'm hugging dad's arm and listening to it. Dad kisses my head.

After the doctor leaves I turn to dad with teary eyes. My lip wobbles and I lean my head on his chest holding his shirt. He puts his arms around me and me.

"I thought I'd lost it" I say in a broken voice

"Us too baby but it wasn't the case. He or she is okay, everything will be okay" he rubs my back as the tears fall once again.

Then it hits me. I could've lost my whole world today — my reason to live and breathe. My everything...