20

Kara opened her eyes in a snap, her gaze meeting his with confusion.

"A day till your engagement. And then what...? A wedding?" he tilted his head to the side in a sarcastic way.

Kara turned her head away, her stomach feeling like something heavy had been dropped there that was making her heart feel heavy. Her gesture made James even closer to her as he brought his face to her neck and whisper near her ear, "don't worry. You are going to be mine only."

Panicked, Kara tried to free her wrist, "James, stop it. If Damon came to know about..."

James placed his finger on her lips, shutting her words midway, "There is no Damon between you and me, sweetheart. You have always known you are mine and still you are trying so damn hard to insist otherwise." his hand dropped to her bare thigh as an indication of his words, letting her know that he knew she was trying to irritate him on purpose.

Kara turned her head to look up at him with anger in her eyes, but found him staring at her lips. Her cheeks turned red at the look in his gaze.

"Kara..." he whispered softly, his eyes sliding up slowly to meet her eyes, "why didn't you want to attend the party?"

"I don't feel happy in parties," she responded hurriedly and tried to push him, but he held her tighter by pressing her against the wall with his body,

"You loved going to the parties three years ago. I had to follow you and make sure none of the boys go close to you and then bring you back home."

Kara's gaze softened at the memory, "I didn't know. I always thought I was not pretty enough to get approached by boys."

James cupped her face softly, "You were the prettiest. That is why I had to be on guard all the time so no one could get a chance to snatch you away from me."

"You never dated me though." Kara smiled sadly and put her hand on his, pushing it away, "you didn't want me enough. All the affection you had always used to disappear when we were in front of our families like I was nothing but a stranger passing by to you. All of my teenage days went to waste because of you. It would have been nice to meet someone good at those parties."

James' hands turned into tight fists but then loosened almost immediately, "you haven't forgotten me though. All of that affection was always only for you, and you knew that, didn't you?"

Kara's cheek suddenly felt tears rolling down on them. James leaned in and kissed the tears away as he said softly, "You can not leave me in the past, Kara. You will not forget the time and moments we have spent together all our lives without letting anyone know, and you can not forget those secrets we hid. I promise I will make everything as it was. All of your pain will be gone."

"James please..." Kara pushed at his chest to push him away but he grabbed her wrists and pinned them above her head against the wall.

"James... you are only going to hurt yourself in the end." she clenched her eyes shut and whispered, "Please stop testing me like this."

"Then leave Damon and accept your feelings for me," James said in a husky tone, his breath fanned on her face. He let her wrists go and grabbed her waist with one hand while his other one slid into the back of her neck, pulling her close to his face. At his pull, her hand fell on his shoulders for support. Both were staring into each other's eyes, their lips just mere inches away from touching.

James bent his head to capture her lips but the distant sound of the door above the stairs that led to the garage broke their connection, bringing Kara to an instant panic as footsteps made her aware of Damon about to come down.

The thought of Damon seeing them like this made her fear for his feelings. She pushed at James but instead of loosening his hold on the back of her neck, his hand that was on his waist grabbed both of her wrists behind her back, while his mouth bent down to press his lips against hers. She fought against his hold uselessly while his lips sucked on hers, deepening the kiss. She opened her mouth to beg him to let her go but his tongue entered her mouth, forcing the back of her head to rest against the wall while he explored her mouth.

The sound of footsteps coming down the stairs was getting closer with each passing second and Kara did not know how to push him away without making a sound. She could only press her body against his in an attempt to push him away but its effect was completely opposite to what she wanted at that moment.

The footsteps were now almost to the end, and Kara's body tensed, preparing for whatever reaction she was going to receive from Damon.

"Damon!" the sound of the door opening, and Rita's call made the footsteps halt, "Mom is saying that Kara has forgotten her purse in the hall. Take it with you to give her."

"Sure." the footstep turned and climbed back up the stairs and then faded.

Kara's body had gone numb and she was completely out of breath. The fear, the panic made tears roll down to her cheek, making James taste the saltiness of them in the kiss.

It made James suddenly come back to his senses, out of the trance that his jealousy, love, and frustration had thrown him into. He cursed himself for making her cry. What the hell was he doing, he could not believe he had lost his control like this.

His hold on her loosened and he tried to say something, but Kara pushed him off herself and ran off towards the main garage door, from where the car was supposed to exit.

He ran his hand in his hair with a frustrated sigh as he looked at her retreating figure helplessly. He wanted to remind her of his love and wash all the pain he had caused away but instead, he threw her into more pain and guilt.

****

Precap:::

A few minutes later Damon came out running towards them, "Sorry, took a bit long." he smiled at Kara while handing over the purse to her.

"It's okay. Let's go." Kara took the purse from him and took one step towards the car when the defeating sound of a gunshot startled them.

Kara staggered back a step but her eyes immediately went to look for Damon beside her as she murmured in worry, "Damon?"

---Please join my P a t r e o n channel and get advanced access to all the chapters.Just search for:p a t r e o n . c o m / k t i s h 7