28

Kara looked at the ring on her hand in a daze as she laid on her bed. The moonlight fell on the shining diamond, creating a mesmerizing reflection. It was a beautiful ring. But it had not come the one she wanted it from.

*****

The morning came around and everyone gathered at the dining table for Breakfast. Everyone was sitting at the table and Kara was busy in the kitchen filling up the plates. James was bored but seeing her so engrossed in work, he could not help but steal glances at her from afar. 

When she returned from the kitchen she took the seat that was empty beside Laura while on her other side was Damon. 

"What were you doing in there?" Damon leaned in and asked in a low tone. 

"Just seeing if there was anything that could bring my appetite," she murmured without looking up. James was sitting right across from her. She could feel his eyes on herself like arrows.

The servants brought the food and placed the plates on the table. Everyone started serving themselves and eating but the silence between them was not uncomfortable.

When they were done, Neil extended some papers towards Kara with a smile on his face. Kara looked at the papers curiously and then as she started reading, her eyes widened in shock.

"You will start working on this project in your parents' company from now on. James is the CEO and Damon is the head of the Architecture department right now to handle things of your company. But now that you are finally back and know about things, I think it's time you start learning." Neil announced.

James gaze went from stunned to angry. He wanted her to remain safe and away from all the office politics. Damon on the other hand looked happy. But Neil continued speaking without paying any heed to them, 

"Kara has graduated from a good university and we all know how good she is at whatever she does. If everything goes well, it will be for the best. And Damon and Kara will also get to spend more time together."

Everyone around the table smiled at Kara with happiness and encouragement except for James. The family had assumed that yesterday's fight was all about James not being informed of things like everyone in the family was. So his anger had emerged because of that and he had blasted about not letting Damon and Kara be together. They decided to ignore the matter for the peace of the family as no one wanted to handle James' anger once again.

Damon's hand slipped over Kara's to hold tightly as he grinned at her in encouragement. That is when James' eyes fell upon the ring shining on her finger. His hands tightened while his eyes would not move away from that damn thing.

He looked up to Kara's face but she did not look at him. Her eyes stayed glued to Damon's face as he whispered some things to her about her office joining day. The rage burning inside him was too fierce but he right then in that moment its target, for the first time in his life was Kara.

He was angry that she did not fight for him. Because she did not care enough to even look at him. She dared to wear that rock on her finger in front of him without giving a fuck about how he would feel.

He threw the chair back and stormed out of the hall before he did something drastic that he would regret.

*****

James sat in his office thinking about the event of yesterday and this morning. His anger would not tame down while his heart had a burning feeling.

He was lost in his thoughts when a girl in an extra mini skirt and the top buttons of her shirt open till her deep cleavage entered the room. James knew that this girl had entered his office just to seduce him when she had joined three months ago. But due to work, and not really paying attention he had ignored her completely.

As she walked towards him seductively while trying her best to show him his curves, James thought that the easiest way to divert his mind was to get engrossed in work. But then he saw through the black glass of his office Kara coming towards his room. The devil in his mind played a dirty trick. As the girl leaned in extremely close towards him to show him something on the file, he grabbed her waist and jerked her forwards, making her fall in his lap.

At that exact time Kara entered his office only to find a skinny girl sitting in James' lap erotically. James' hand was on her thigh, caressing it and his lips were on her neck. The girl was giggling as he bit her neck before moaning out his name.

A loud knock made the girl jump up from James' lap. Her gaze fell upon a fuming Kara, her eyes immediately getting filled with fear. But James only smirked at Kara. He felt a deep satisfaction seeing Kara like this in front of him. As the girl saw James' confident, indifferent face, she sat back again in his lap. 

Kara looked at James with a frustrated gaze. She turned around to go out of the office but before she could step out, she felt a hand on her waist, turning her around.

"So now you are getting jealous?"