12

SORRY! I had mistakenly published the wrong chapter! This is fixed now. Please read. <3

---- 

James stood frozen at the door step. He had heard the words his mother had said. His heart almost stopped, his fist clenching tight.

He was never told that there was going to be an engagement, leave alone the engagement of his brother and Kara! And then he suddenly realized, it was just the same as all those years of childhood. Everyone had declared him the evil of the house without understanding the reason for his behavior. 

Now, nothing had changed. Everyone thought for Damon, not him. No one cared for him, not even Kara... 

She seemed happy with Damon, watching his family chat away enthusiastically about her engagement. She did not need him but he felt the burning sensation in his chest when he saw her with Damon. It was true that he never like the things which belonged to Damon, but right now there was no hatred but an urge to hold Kara close to him.

But James' world had crashed down.

Kara's gaze fell over Damon's shoulder. And a silent cry came out from her as she saw him sad. But then she looked at Damon, to whom she could even give her life.

He was the savior. When she was deeply depressed, he was the one who had managed to bring the old Kara back, or at least, helped her come out of the dark hole that she had been pushed into after the accident of her parents.

It was true that Kara never said anything to James three years ago. Never asked him why he did not come to her when she needed him the most. But it was more difficult to handle than what she had shown to everyone. She never cried over his disappearance. Her heart was empty and blank. The day she stepped into Los Angels after that day, Damon had tried to be in constant touch with her. She never gave a chance to James though. She had given him enough time, enough of her soul.

Damon knew Kara was the kind of girl who knew how to suppress her sorrow within and let the world see that she is happy. Damon was the one who comforted her, stayed with her, followed her to make sure she was safe and healthy. The day her mother was about to die, and had come to consciousness for a bit, she had held hers and Damon's hands and adjoined them together, asking Damon to keep Kara safe. To marry her.

******

It was almost midnight when Kara entered James' room. After getting so deeply pressured by Damon's mom and grandma, she did not have any other choice than to stay here.

James was sitting on the couch with his eyes closed. But her scent made him aware of her instantly. He was awake but still pretended to be asleep. She saw his closed eyes and turned to try and go back when James held her wrist and pulled her back. Kara landed on his lap.

"You were awake?" Kara whispered.

James slid his other hand in her waist and murmured, "how could I sleep without seeing you?"

"So you did not sleep for the past three years?" Kara asked in a sarcastic tone.

"No," he said sincerely, "there was not even a single night when I could sleep peacefully."

She looked away and tried to stand up but James held her tighter. The door to the room was open.

"James, leave me. If someone saw us like this what are they going to think about us..."

"Someone or Damon?"

Kara looked at him with a blank expression.

"Tell me, Kara." James continued, "is it Damon you are worried about or all of them out there? Your new fiancee, right?"