22

"James you are crossing the lines of..."

"Uncle, please calm down." Kara interrupted them as she came between them to stop the fight that was about to get heavier, "James is right, Uncle. Please, I need to know what is happening right now. How the hell are you guys getting attacked by gunshots because of me? I... I don't think I have ever done anything that would..."

"It is not your fault." James stopped her as his voice turned gentle.

Neil was not convinced and still agitated at James for speaking out. But now as the words were out, they could not be taken back and he did not have any other option left.

James came close to Kara and started, "Your parents had not made their will when they had died. Although I had managed to transfer the business immediately in your name, there is still a rivalry going on because of the shares of the company as you are the sole owner of fifty two percent shares while others have lower shares which makes it impossible for them to take over."

"But... but I have never even interfered with the business." Kara urgently said in worry, "I did not even know this till now."

"We know that, Kara," James put his hand on her shoulder as his gaze looked into her stressed eyes. Even though he hated to see her so worried and in distress, he needed to reveal the things that he had been hiding from her, "at the time when your parents died, Dad asked me to arrange the transfer of all of their assets and properties in your name immediately so that you did not lose everything."

Kara was silent but her eyes widened in recognition realizing why he had not been there for her when her parents had died and he had disappeared. Guilt consumed her as her thoughts of all the years came crashing down. He had not ditched her. He had left her for her own sake.

"There are some share holders that are not happy with you owning the company and the majority of it. Right now I am the one managing it as the CEO but since you are the main seed, they want to take you out and then take over everything." James continued. He knew his words were going to hurt her, but he had hidden everything long enough. If he did not reveal everything now, he might never be able to because the last thing he wanted to do was to hurt her.

Kara's eyes were filled with tears by the time James stopped speaking. There was too much placed in front of her within an hour and she did not know how to consume. She had not even expected that so much was happening while she had been away from here.

"I..." she gulped as fear and sadness filled her and she whispered, "what do I do, James?"

James stepped forward and took her in his arms, his hand sliding in her hair as he put her head on his shoulder, "Everything is going to be okay, Kara. Don't worry."

"James, it is not safe to keep Kara here, especially tonight." Neil said worriedly, "book a suite and keep her close to you. I will let you both know once I have made all the security arrangements."

*****************

James woke up at midnight to find the bed beside him empty. He had booked a suite in a well known hotel. Kara had been very absent minded the whole time but he knew she needed time to process everything that had happened today. 

The clock on the table struck two thirty am while his hands slid on the empty bed in the dark to find Kara. He turned on the lights as panic flooded his mind. He shot off the bed and grabbed his phone. Kara's phone was also missing. He immediately dialed her number, wishing desperately in his heart that she was okay.

 Like his prayer was answered, his phone started ringing and Kara's name flashed on the screen. He immediately picked it up and spat, "Are you okay?"

The other end of the phone was buzzing with extremely loud music. He could barely hear Kara's voice as she said, "YES! I am... absoluuuuuutely... I think something? James... I think I am on a roller coastrrrr. The sky spins!"

Realization dawned upon James as he heard her slurry words. He started pacing in the room like a wounded lion as he shouted over the phone, "You are drunk?!"

"No... no. I am Kaaaaaara." Kara giggled like a kid who had told the funniest joke. 

James ran his hand through his hair and cursed in a low tone, "Tell me where you are. Don't you know what danger you are in?! I am coming to pick you."

Kara shouted, "I am not a child! I am in the hotel only."

"Kara." James whispered with a heavy sigh. He started striding towards the door to go to the bar in the hotel.

"I missed you, James." the low whisper suddenly entered his ears through the phone.

James' steps halted for a second. The words he had been dying to hear came out filled with pain, and so much sadness, "Sweetheart..." 

Kara continued, "Y... you said you are sorry... you said so many things and said you were wrong and you were far and... and... I can not do it, James. I could not... I don't know what to do."

James pressed the button to the lowest ground to go directly to the bar, his hand keeping the phone close to his ear to hear each word that Kara was saying,

"I have so many things to say, but I can not. I thought you did not love me. You never even smiled at me in front of your family back then but kept me so close in your room that even air could not escape through the embrace of your touch. And... and then you left me alone without saying a word for days when I watched my mom die in the hospital bed." he heard her voice almost fade with the music as her tone turned to soft whispers, "James, you know you don't do that to the one you love, right? You don't hide the person you love and you don't hide things from the person you love. What was it between you and me three years ago that made you hide your love from me... from your family and everyone else and me... like a dirty secret?"

-----

Precap:::

"Let me fix it for you."

Kara angrily slapped his hand that he extended towards her, "Don't touch me!"

James cursed again, but this time louder. Kara scrunched her nose and pouted her lips, "Bad words. Don't say that."

"You can say anything and I can not even help you?" James raised his brows.

Kara licked her lips and then murmured, "you... you will do something."

"Do what?" James looked at her in confusion.

Kara groaned, "You will put your fingers on me, and then I will feel... ticklish and stuff..." she giggled.

---

Please join my P a t r e o n channel and get advanced access to all the chapters. Just search for:

p a t r e o n . c o m / k t i s h 7