27

Kara waited a bit for James to return to the hotel after receiving the last text from Damon. She tried to call him but could not connect. In the end, she grabbed her wallet from the table and ran out of the hotel. After getting inside a cab, it took her an hour and a half before she got out hastily and ran inside through the main doors of James' home. She was just crossing the small garden when her gaze fell upon a silhouette sitting in the garden swing, looking lost. She recognized James instantly and walked towards him. Taking a seat beside him on the swing she waited for him to say something. The silence between them was strange but she did not try to console or talk to him about the matter. Waiting for him to open up.

Eventually, James' shoulders relaxed and he leaned back on the swing.

"I fought with mom and dad. Their words hurt each time they talk to me like I am a nuisance in their life instead of their son."

His soft voice made a lump form in Kara's throat, but she stayed immobile, giving him the space to talk. 

He shifted on the swing, turning to lean back, and put his head in Kara's lap. She did not object this time as his next words made her heart ache for him, 

"I always wanted to put my head on my mom's lap but she never had time for me. I like it when I am with you and you never stop me from doing this."

Kara's fingers slipped in James' hair, threading through the soft curls gently. James looked into her eyes, staring silently,

"I always wanted them to see me. It enraged me when they chose Damon over me each time. Maybe some things were my fault..."

Kara interrupted him, "It is not. You also deserve just as much love as Damon. They should understand that." 

"Do they really love me?"

There was so much pain in those five words, so much longing. How can anyone with a heart not love James. But the uncertainty in his voice tore her apart. 

"They do," she whispered, "you just need to open up your own heart to receive their love. You need to explain things and hear what they say instead of getting angry. Can you do that, James?"

Her voice was barely above a whisper but so was his. They understood each other and their emotions.

"Don't cry," he wiped her tears with his fingers that she had not realized when slipped out, "everything is going to be alright."

How ironic, this is what she wanted to say to him but could only manage to give him a small smile. They both fell in comfortable silence. None of them realized how much time passed, but when Kara opened her eyes, she found Damon standing in front of them. She immediately looked at a sleeping James, her legs were numb but she could not slide out from under him. She gestured for Damon to be quiet when her gaze fell upon another figure coming across. Kara immediately stiffened seeing Rita coming towards them. But right at that moment, she did not care about what anyone would think of her as her first priority was James who was sound asleep like he had not slept for months.

But Rita did something that none of them expected. She signaled for Kara to be quiet and with Damon's help, she slid in Kara's place without disturbing James. Kara was worried about James but then seeing the pain in Rita's eyes, she let her hold James. Damon covered James with a blanket as the chill of the evening had started to spread in the garden. Then once he was done, he walked back inside the mansion with Kara. 

"Don't look at me like this, Kara. He is my brother. I love him, no matter what."

Kara gave him a teasing smile, "I know that already."

Damon shook his head while smiling at her. He took off his jacket and put it on her shoulders as they both entered the mansion and Damon walked inside the kitchen to bring her some food.

"I am not hungry."

"I don't think you ate lunch or dinner till now."

"But..."

"Kara, trust me, I am going to make sure he eats but for now you have to eat."

He gave her sandwiches and juice. At the sight, her stomach grumbled. She looked up at Damon, embarrassed. Damon could not help himself from laughing at her cute, pouting face. He pinched her nose and said,

"Eat this. I will order a takeout for James. Mom and dad haven't eaten anything as well."

"And you?"

Somehow she knew that he also had not eaten anything. His concern showed on his face which made her smile a little. Damon looked at her for a moment longer than he would have liked, her smile was so... he stopped himself from thinking of her.

"Guests were informed about canceling the engagement," Damon said after a few moments, "everyone was returned from the main door only."

"I... am sorry."

He pulled out a box from his pocket and pulled out a beautiful, lotus shaped ring before extending his empty hand towards her,

"Give me your hand."

Kara hesitated a moment before lifting her hand. He grabbed her fingers gently and slipped the ring on her ring finger. Once it settled on her hand perfectly, he swiped his thumb over the ring softly, 

"We will be together, Kara. I promise."