Chapter 18 - Facing Reality

Jiang Cheng's POV

I woke up first the next morning. Obviously the crippling fatigue and comfort of finding Wei Ying had overcome the Lan's strict timetable. I still didn't really know the full extent of what had happened to Wei Ying, only that he was different. He'd been hurt so badly and tried to hide it. I didn't know or understand how but the thought alone that he was scared or unwilling to open himself up to me made me sad. I was supposed to be his brother, if he couldn't trust me who could he trust?

I knew it was wrong but I felt annoyed, almost jealous even. Why was Lan Wangji the one who figured it out; who was there when we found him; who had nursed him and calmed him? What claim did he have on Wei Ying, my shixiong. Previously, had the two even been friends? I had thought that Wei Ying just got on his nerves? 

How badly I wanted to be in the place of Lan Wangji, tightly grasping Wei Ying, breathing in his wild, unique smell, comforted by the steady thumping of his heart. Knowing he was safe. The support and friendship that I had missed seemed to no longer be a right. I had been pushed aside and ignored. They never explained to me what happened. They didn't need my help or input. They didn't want me like I wanted him. When had it become them and me as opposed to us and him. Hanguang-jun was surely the outsider here, so why did it feel like I was unnecessary?

But perhaps I was overreacting. It had only been a few hours. Things would normalise themselves.

-------------------------------------------------------

Third Person POV

It was past noon before the two awoke. Wei Ying had recovered slightly from his exhaustion and in the forgiving golden sun, looked much better than the previous night. Similarly, Lan Zhan looked the most relaxed he had been in a long time.

As Wei Ying began to regain consciousness, he became aware of the strong, calming sandalwood scent invading his brain and half-asleep, he shuffled in closer to the source in the process burying his head into the strong Lan's chest. His thoughts slowly trickled back and he froze before violently recoiling. 

'Where was he? What was he doing?' he panicked in his thoughts. 

The violence of his withdrawal had also awoken Wangji who promptly bolted upright before resting his searching gaze on Wuxian.

"What's the matter?" He questioned, concern creasing his brows.

Wei Ying didn't respond and just carefully began to stand up and take in his surroundings.

"You're awake!" noted Jiang Cheng 

"Hmn" responded Wei Ying, "Where are we?"

Jiang Cheng informed Wei Wuxian of the plans so far and they decided to make preparations to leave later in the day. They also had breakfast and both men watched guiltily as Wei Ying gulped down his food. He had obviously been starving for a long time. 

Having spent more time with the man, they could tell more clearly the changes. He was tense and jumpy, quieter and more introverted. He wouldn't start the conversation and often resorted to one or two word answers. The only thing that appeared to have any affect on him was the looming reunion with his sister. He seemed both excited with longing yet also worried and scared.

Much to the other's dislike, Wei Wuxian insisted on reconstructing the facade in front of the disciples. He reasoned that he was already using it to be able to see, and would need to use it for transport issues as he was too weak to ride his sword and now conscious, felt it was inappropriate to be carried by Wangji. The disciples greeted him with joy, happy to see their beloved shixiong back.

The journey back to the base was long and wearisome and the affects of overexertion and the dark energy were beginning to take a toll on Wei Ying. He was slowing down a lot, trembling visibly and areas of his facade began to slip awkwardly out of place. The trio had ushered on the disciples ahead and parted almost an hour ago, but even with others gone Wei Ying was reluctant to remove the barrier.

"Wei Ying, it's dangerous." Said Wangji calmly.

Jiang Cheng nodded in agreement. At the current rate, would be at least two hours more before they reached the base and even with regular breaks, Wei Ying would probably end up collapsing: he was by no means healthy and it was a struggle for any normal person. 

"Fine", Wei Ying curtly agreed and let the mask go. "I want to see Shijie as soon as possible and I know you are worried. If you think that the toll of the facade could jeopardise that then I concede."

-----------------------------------------------------

Author's Note:

Thank you guys for your patience and I hope you enjoyed this update. I meant to write it earlier but I was quite busy. Normally, I only get time to write quite late at night which means that when I go to proof read, it doesn't always make a lot of sense and I end up rewriting it. Please comment and vote if you have any suggestions or thoughts.