Chapter 39

3rd Person POV

The discussions conference was a scene of grandeur and life as the great hall was filled to the brim with people, food and treasures. It was not Lan Zhan's ideal setting, nor was it a meeting he wanted to attend, but as the second jade of Lan there was no way he could plausibly avoid it. To him it was stuffy, naive and fickle full of smaller clans that were desperate to rise up through the ranks. As one of the better known individuals. Lan Zhan presented a clear route in the struggle which unfortunately prompted several unwanted advances and conversations.

Having spent what he deemed a reasonable amount of time in the great hall around guests, he moved outside away from all of the noise and action. His presence wouldn't really be necessary for a day or two as clans were still arriving in drips and drabs - Xichen had wanted to help Guangyao with preparations hence the Sects early arrival. He wandered through the vast gardens full of elegant and expensive plants, observing each individual leaf and petal carefully; losing himself in the beauty.

A smell began to draw him. A comforting smell. A familiar one. But... it was not his familiar, homely scent, rather it was one that would send his better half swooning. Jiang Yanli's famed pork rib and lotus root soup. He was in the entrance to a sort of residence. It was unlike the main guest lodges in its style and size - unlike the rest of the Jin sects grounds it was made of exquisitely carved wood and surrounded by artificial ponds and streams. 

It was clear to any onlooker that this place had been built to resemble Lotus Pier and so Lan Zhan assumed it was the home of the Lady Jin-to-be. Entering, he made his way over to a quaint little kitchen, but hovered outside unable to force himself to enter. 

"You can come in you know." Pronounced quiet and calming voice.

Embarrassed to have been caught sneaking around, Lan Zhan's ears flushed pink at the remark.

"Here, sit, I'll get some tea." She said endearingly. 

Lan Zhan could see why Wei Ying's shijie was so important to the boy and wished he could some how inform her of her brother's circumstances, but he couldn't break his oath to Wei Ying. Perhaps he could just hint instead. The conversation was polite and surprisingly the was little awkwardness. He ended up staying for hours as they quietly chatted whilst Yanli cooked. 

"He really liked you, you know. Perhaps Loved even." Said Yanli

Lan Zhan stayed silent.

"A-Xian I mean. Although I'm not sure he'd ever admit it, I think he did. And I know him better than anyone. Well, knew. Perhaps, someone else knows him better now."

Again there was no response but Yanli knew Lan Zhan was listening and she wanted to get some things off of her chest.

"I feel so bad for him. I feel guilty that he was brave enough to stand up for what was right and I couldn't be with him. It must be so hard, even now for him to know all that he's lost. And it hurts because I wasn't there. I couldn't stand up for him and protected him like I should've. And I saw how he was becoming estranged beforehand - how he wasn't around as much and fought more with A-Cheng - but he wouldn't talk to me like he used to. There was only one conversation that I can remember from that time. He came to me late at night one day and asked me about love and why someone would willingly tie a noose around their necks, he questioned what I'd do to be with Zixuan, and I knew that he was talking about you. I'm sorry I was selfish. I'm sorry that I couldn't follow him."

Mutual silence spread between the two before gradually resumed the previous light conversation. Finally, the soup was ready and Wangji stared at it with wide eyes. It looked so delicious and he knew he would love it; he would love anything and everything that Wei Ying loved. It was really incomparable and beyond expectation. He needed to know how to make it and asked whether Yanli would teach him, and she happily agreed. Tomorrow then. He would learn tomorrow.

Just as he stood up to leave, an unsuspecting Jiang Cheng walked in. Immediately, the atmosphere became tense and awkward and after a short stare, Lan Zhan left.

----------------------------------------

After the conference ended, Lan Zhan was finally free again - for a short while at least - and he immediately intended to go and see Wei Ying. He was so excited and the emotion must've slightly broken on his face because he was getting a lot of confused stares from the disciples. He'd already told Xichen that he would be away for a while and was now free to leave but there was someone he wanted to say goodbye to first.

Yanli gazed at an Zhan fondly as he awkwardly stood in her doorway. It was nice to have seen the man who knew her brother so well. He had told her that he was leaving to go visit the local towns and night hunt. She knew that that wasn't the case but she went along with it; the boy was so happy. Everything about him had changed over night, from his facial expression to his body language, it was obvious to anyone that cared to look that something was up. Just as he turned to leave she called after him.

"Tell him I miss him."