Chapter 32

3rd Person POV

In the Burial Mounds spirits were high. These people now viewed Wei Ying as their saviour and devoted themselves to helping out and building a safe and comfortable community. Already, Wei Ying had set up a huge barrier around the outside of the mountain to prevent intruders. In addition, large areas of ground were beginning to be cleared for farmland and housing. At the moment, food was scarce and the nights were cold with everyone huddling around a fire at night and sleeping together in the great hall but it could be worse. They would survive.

Despite the hardships born as a result of his actions, Wei Ying did not regret anything. He felt free without the suffocation of societal constraints and expectations. Of course, he would like to be with his siblings in Yunmeng and be ignorant but the truth that he had hidden deep inside was that he felt he no longer belonged. He loved them, but it was strained by the weight of change and hardship. There was also Lan Zhan.

He would miss Lan Zhan. Although in recent times they had not met often, he liked to think they were close but now any memories of closeness were probably history. Lan Zhan was so upright and strict that although he could probably see the right in Wei Ying's actions, he was powerless to help. 

Just thinking about the boy made Wei Ying's heart race and he didn't know why. He wondered whether Lan Zhan would remain true to his word and come. He sincerely hoped he would but he dared not dream: the disappointment would be worse that way.

It was early evening and the sun was beginning its descent over the horizon, streaking the sky with red. Preparations for a night time meal were just starting and the Wens were slowly vacating their positions in the fields. Everything was perfect and calm.

Wei Ying began to feel an odd sensation by his chest before the realisation hit. He pulled out a talisman and watched as it slowly disintegrated. This had the potential to be very bad. It signified an unexpected breach or presence in the barrier. Hastily, he set out to assess the problem. 

He rounded the last corner and was met with a beautiful sight that sent his heart racing. It was Lan Zhan. He looked so handsome stood in his white robes with worry and anger on his face. It was obvious that had the man wanted to, he could have destroyed the barrier so Wei Wuxian was very happy that he hadn't touched it. It made him feel respected.

"LAN ZHAN! YOU CAME!" He shouted excitedly, unable to hide his glee.

"Wei Ying!" Came the response.

Something came over the boy and suddenly he couldn't help himself. He barrelled straight into Lan Wangji and hugged him. Perhaps it was just the fact that someone cared, but he couldn't stop and Wangji made no move to stop him either.

Eventually, he pried himself off with flushed cheeks. How embarrassing. Judging by the scarlet creeping down Lan Wangji's ears, it seemed the other was embarrassed too.

"Uhh... sorry for that." He laughed nervously

"Anyways, come in and make yourself at home. Any big news from outside? I'm sure I have caused quite a commotion."

"Hmmn. An emergency meeting was called. The Jins are biasing everyone against you. Mianmian left her sect out of anger and I set things straight and stormed out."

Wei Ying couldn't believe it. How could the man sound so matter of fact when he had just disclosed that he had almost single handedly defended Wei Ying.

"What!.. Lan Zhan, you really did that? You better go back and make amends. How could you do that just for me? Lan Qiren will kill you!"

"No. I do not regret it. If feigning ignorance so blatantly is being righteous, I would rather not be."

"Lan Zhan. I guess thank you. Damn, I would kill to see the look on that perverted old liar's face though."

"Mhhm"

By this point, they had reached the clearing to the main part of the establishment. 

"Wen Qing! Lan Zhan came." He shouted. She looked up from her current task of collecting fruits and came over.

"Hanguang-jun," she bowed, "glad you could make it. I'm sure Wei Ying is very happy that you're here."

Lan Zhan then held out a Qiankun pouch to the two.

"Take it. I got some things."

This peaked Wei Ying's curiosity. What would he have bought? Opening it, the contents seemed never ending as it gathered in a heap on the floor. There were tools for farming like spades, trowels and forks; seeds and bulbs to grow; yards of thick woollen materials that could be made into clothes, blankets and quilts; fresh meat, vegetables, flour, sugar and spices for cooking; several jars of alcohol; and finally a few chickens and a goat.

They stared incredulously at the huge pile of goods that had just spilled out. Of course Lan Wangji would come prepared.

"Lan Zhan did you buy all this... for us?"

"Mhhm"

"You didn't need too!"

"What he means to say is thank you very much. We will definitely make use of it all"

"Mhhm"

In other circumstances, they might have refused out of shame or politeness but they really couldn't. These things were essential for their continued survival and currently they were living off of only the small bits of money Wei Ying had had on him when he left.

"Hanguangjun, stay for dinner. It will be ready in an hour or thereabouts."

"Mhhm"

"Lan Zhan, let me show you around!"

It made Lan Zhan happy as he watched Wei Ying excitedly drag him around and lay out all of the plans for the future. He was glad to see the boy wasn't suffering. As the bell sounded indicating dinner, everyone rushed into the great hall and sat chatting and laughing merrily, without regard for hierarchy. It was exactly as he would expect of Wei Ying. They collected their food before Wei Ying dragged him off to the side towards his private quarters. They needed to have a serious chat at some point and perhaps this was the time. 

They talked about everything from the future to how things were at present but they both felt like they were holding back on the main point. Feelings. Yes, Lan Zhan had vowed before coming that he wouldn't leave until he had professed his feelings for Wei Ying, but now that the time came, he struggled to muster the courage.

Finally, he struggled out, 

"Wei Ying, I love you."