Chapter 27

3rd Person POV

The kiss was passionate and strong yet clumsy and confused, full of unspoken emotions and Wei Wuxian could not help but melt into it. He was completely enraptured. It felt like he had been waiting for this since forever, throughout all of the hardship. He was intoxicated by the calming scent of sandalwood and the peculiar familiarity he felt. He was so carried away, he didn't stop the moan from escaping his lips.

And then it was over. As though the moan had drawn the pursuer back to reality and they immediately left. Wei Ying was in a daze - what had just happened? He had potentially just kissed a random stranger! What was wrong with him?

He shouldn't have done but it just felt so right and perfect and like it was meant to be. His brain was having issues keeping up with him. By the time he had started looking around for the person it was too late, not even a trace. The person probably didn't want to be identified, judging by their hasty exit, but Wei Ying's curiosity had been peaked. It was definitely his business to know and so he cast his mind back in search of any key things he could remember.

Sandalwood. That what he could remember. The musky, calming, powerful sandalwood. It was a unique scent but he was well accustomed to it. He cast his mind back to one particular individual. A person who was cold and blunt but hardworking and intelligent. It couldn't be him, could it? For some unknown reason, even the thought made the boys heart flutter and triggered a deep flush to travel over his features. 

"Stop it Wei Ying, don't be stupid. He doesn't even like you that much, why would it be him?" He said to himself, reiterating it over and over until the thought itself seemed ridiculous.

Since he had already removed his blindfold, he decided to leave it and go search for others. The hunting grounds were magnificent and huge and he was sure that it would be a while before he met with anyone but as he rounded a corner into a clearing he saw the white clad Lan. He was breathtaking but also seemingly very angry.

He was randomly striking out at trees but in a composed way. Wei Ying didn't question it.

"LAN ZHAN!" He shouted and the figure quickly turned as though he'd been caught doing something wrong.

Wei Ying ran over and greeted him, noticing the slight flush gracing the tips of the man's ears.

"What are you doing? Anything fun?" He innocently inquired.

Lan Zhan just mumbled out a response.

Being up close to the man he could see how Lan Zhan was definitely the right size and build to be the one who had kissed him and he did smell perfectly of sandalwood but before he could dwell on it further, he dragged himself and Lan Zhan behind a bush.

Lan Zhan shot him a questioning glare that was answered by Wei Ying shushing him. From around the corner appeared Yanli and the peacock, the latter keenly boasting his knowledge on monsters. As Yanli's dear didi, Wei Ying felt it was his duty to protect and supervise the peacock to ensure that no harm came to his sister. He could sense the tension between the two and soon enough Jin Zixuan became angry. Wei Ying jumped in and then Lan Wangji protected him from Zixuan's blade.

The commotion attracted others from nearby until they were accompanied by Jin Zixun, Madame Jin, Sect Leader Yao and more.

"Cousin, is Wei Wuxian causing you trouble?"  Said Jin Zixun. He didn't even wait for an answer before continuing. "Wei Wuxian, you still dare cause the Jiang Clan trouble. That they have raised a head disciple like you who practices dirty tricks and demonic cultivation is shameful. Know your place! You have taken over 1/3 of the whole arena's prey, is that still not enough. You are a cheater! Do you even know etiquette - you still refuse to carry your sword? How ignorant." He cried.

"How have I over stepped? Is Chenqing not a cultivational tool that I have practised and strengthened? Would you like to try and see whether anything would follow you? Would you like to fight and see who wins? Even if I wielded a sword you would never win. Why should I have to yield because of your incompetency in handling a weapon?"

Wei Ying was so angry, he felt as if he would explode. The rage was building and building and building escalated by the dark energy flowing through his veins.

"You scourge! Know your place! You really think you can instruct me when you are merely the son of a pair of insignificant servants who 'gained favour' with the previous Clan Leader? Can a servant challenge a master?"

That did it, Wei Ying was beyond mad. Somewhere in the back of his mind he could feel Lan Zhan and his sister trying to hold him back.

"Focus Wei Ying, concentrate!" He zoned in on Lan Zhan's steady tone. He wanted to stop but the darkness was there creeping up through his cracks and weaknesses. 

He was vaguely aware of his sister talking to the Jin Clan. Was she defending him? He was grateful for his sister's support with her polite and elegant ways but even after the situation was calmed, he decided to dismiss himself to go for a walk around Lanling and calm down.

-------------------------------------------------

Author's Note:

I'm really sorry that this seems sort of skipped through with not much detail, I figured it's not too central and everyone who has watched the live action knows how good this scene was - Jiang Yanli = best sister. Please comment any ideas or opinions and vote. I'm pretty sure I have settled on an ending for this book and where it is going but I'm indecisive and I want to see what you guys think is going to happen / want to see. I feel bad for torturing you guys with the very small amount of Wangxian content but bear with.