Chapter 21

3rd Person POV

Wangji's breath hitched. Wei Ying's small hand lightly gripped his robes. As much as he wanted this, he couldn't. Carefully he pried Wei Ying off giving his clammy hands a light squeeze before abruptly standing up and leaving. 

"We should take turns watching him", Wangji suggested

"I'll go first." said Jiang Cheng abruptly. No one argued. They would decide who would take over in the morning later and they all quickly retreated.

Lan Zhan's POV

I paced quickly back to my chamber before locking the door and beginning to meditate, I needed to stop the feelings and emotions that were going through me. I had no right over Wei Ying other than as a friend and it hurt. I wanted him all to myself and I wanted to do things with him that I had never done before. I needed to control myself or something bad would happen and I wouldn't be able to deal with the consequences. I cleared my thoughts and meditated, shutting out everything but for the first time, it didn't work.

Every time I would let my subconscious go, his face would appear in my head. The him of before, smiling and laughing and happy. I was fighting a loosing battle so I took a bath and went to sleep - it was near enough nine o'clock and I had had a tiring day. My mind raced and I allowed myself to fall into a dream filled sleep.

--------------------------------------------

The figures were stood in an enclosed, verdant clearing in cloud recesses watching as two rabbits - one black and one white - affectionately chased each other. The smaller figure was dressed in deep black robes permeated by red accents and had laid his head on his partner's shoulder. 

"I love you Lan Zhan", he said.

"I love you too Wei Ying", responded the other.

Wei Ying giggled, "Lan Zhan! You're so cute! You're ears are all red!" he cried.

"Shameless", came the embarrassed response. The Lan began gracefully but swiftly up the hill.

"Slow down Lan Zhan! Wait for me!", yelled Wei Wuxian.

And then it went silent. Too silent. And the taller man turned to see as his lover's face began to shrink and distort, pain evident, screaming. A heart-wrenching, gut-churning scream. And he ran, ran as hard as he could but he couldn't reach him...

Lan Zhan woke up. His body was drenched in a thick layer of cold sweat, struggling to catch his breath as his senses returned. To his horror, the scream continued. He knew that voice, it was Wei Ying. 'No no no no no no no', he thought, 'not Wei Ying'. 

He bolted out the door, not bothering to wear his outer robes as his feet pulled him on autopilot towards the noise. Many disciples had been woken up and were confusedly walking around, unsure of how to act, worried expressions plastered on their faces as they watched the cold and unfazable Hanguang-jun run past.

The door banged in the entrance to Wei Ying's temporary quarters as Wangji entered. Jiang Cheng had been thrown to the wall and just sat there dazed and unsure. Wangji followed his gaze over to the bed where Wei Wuxian sat bolt upright shrouded by a dark cloud. His previously blank eyes were ebony, black and prominent black veins bulged beneath areas of his skin.

"WHAT HAPPENED?" shouted Wangji

"I don't know. It just happened out of the blue. I can't stop it"

Wangji summoned his guqin and began to play the heart cleansing song. Finally, the energy began to disperse from around Wei Ying's prone form and the boy seemed to have returned to normal. He slowly looked around. 

"What was that?", inquired Jiang Cheng harshly

"It doesn't matter, I'm fine now", Wei Ying responded

---------------------------------------------

Author's Note:

Hope you enjoyed. Please vote and comment! Sorry it's so short!