Chapter 37

3rd Person POV

"What?" Replied Wei Ying

"I'm really sorry Wei Ying. I'm sorry I wasn't here, I'm sorry I put you through this alone, I'm sorry I never thought about the consequences to my actions, I'm sorry you didn't feel like you could contact me, I'm sorry for any stress and pain you go through. If you want to abort this child, I'll accept it. or if you want to have nothing to do with me, I'll accept that too. If you want me to raise it for you, I'll do it. If you wa..."

Before the man could say any more he was silenced by the familiar feeling of Wei Ying's soft lips on his own. 

"Lan Zhan, slow down a second. Do you want this child?"

"Yes."

"And do you want to stay in our relationship?"

"Yes."

"And is there any factors you can think of that will change your mind?"

"No."

"Well then there is no issue here. Lan Zhan look at me, look me in the eyes so you can see my sincerity," said Wei Ying holding his beloved's face in his hands. "I love you, you love me, so why wouldn't I be happy. Sure, the circumstances may be unusual and unexpected but, Lan Zhan, you have given me the one thing I long for most in this world: a family. A proper, biological family of my own, that I can treasure and grow with. Even if you couldn't accept us" -Lan Zhan began to protest at this -" I would go through it all alone. If I could go back, I would make all the same decisions again no matter how unfavourable because, in the end, they will lead back to this."

"Wei Ying, I love you so much. So so much and I'm so happy we get this chance."

After that, the two kissed and cried and shared heartfelt words, plans and ideas for the future... until the sun had long receded over the horizon.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Time flew for the two and soon almost a month had passed. It was an unstated yet understood fact that Lan Zhan couldn't stay forever; he had sect duties to attend to and although his brother would definitely defend him from Qiren (as far as either knew he was away, building his cultivation and helping rural, non-cultivator communities), he was extremely aware that it was unfair for him to stay.

For a few days, Wei Ying had felt that things had been somehow 'off' within the village. Even Wen Qing and Wen Ning seemed busy and restless around him and Lan Zhan seemed to be going out for longer and longer periods of time with the villagers. He knew that it probably wasn't anything and it would just be his hormones making him oversensitive, but if it went on too much longer, he would definitely smuggle Lan Zhan back for a talk and cuddles.

That night, Lan Zhan was late to bed and when the boy woke up he was alone. Right, that did it. He was stopping whatever was going on right now so he could go back to being the centre of attention. Angry, he stormed out of bed and went to go find his partner. 

Emerging, things were still weird. He knew that it must have been quite late already by the position of the sun yet there was no one around. Odd - perhaps they're still asleep he thought, so he went for a look around the houses but still they were empty. This was extremely annoying and it was very much not funny if it was a joke. He was tired and hungry and he just wanted Lan Zhan back. He started crying. He couldn't help it, it was the hormones, which made him feel stupid making him cry harder.

"LAN ZHAN!" He wailed.

Eventually, Wen Qing appeared out of no where.

"Shhh! Shhhh! It's okay, stop crying." She said as she patted his back. "Don't ruin your pretty face."

"I want Lan Zhan. Where's Lan Zhan?"

"I'm sorry, he's busy Wei Ying."

"But I want him. I'm the most important to him. Whatever he is doing, is less important than me." He was well aware of how bratty he sounded but it was just so unfair.

"Wei Ying, he is preparing something for you, okay. You will see him later. First, he instructed that either we blindfold you or you temporarily let yourself be blind."

"What? Why does he want me to do that?"

"Wei Ying, just trust me. It's what he wants you to do. Now once you've done it, you mustn't brig your sight back until I say so. I'm going to take you back to your room and you will wash and eat. Then, Wen Ning will help you get changed."

By this point Wei Ying was more than confused but he went along with it. He was gaining nothing from resisting.

He took a long warm bath and ate some delicious food cooked by Wen Qing before Wen Ning and Wen Qing helped him dress. Originally, only Wen Ning was going to help but since it wasn't the first time Wen Qing had seen Wei Ying semi-nude and Wen Ning was a bit to clumsy an agreement was made that Wen Qing would help too. 

Wei Ying didn't know what the outfit was but it was so comfortable and soft - either silk or satin - and it glided over his figure, complimenting his body shape perfectly. Then, Wen Qing insisted on combing out and styling his hair for him. The whole process was so relaxing and nostalgic he almost forgot that he hadn't seen Lan Zhan. 

Wen Qing's cold hands, gently combed and braided through his long hair making him shiver and reminding him of the two women who use to play with his hair in the past. Two women whom he missed very much - his mother and his Shijie - and before he knew it he felt tears dribbling down his cheeks. Stupid hormones.

Wen Qing embraced him before wiping his tears and insisting on applying makeup (not much, only lip tint and eyeshadow or something). Eventually, he was led back outside and into unknown territory. Eventually, Wen Qing told him he could look. 

It was overwhelming. There were beautiful red lanterns and silks hung between the houses and trees and beneath his feet lay a velvety red carpet. Wen Qing and Wen Ning had both also changed outfits and appeared to be wearing their best clothes - although Wei Ying had never seen them before so he presumed they were new. In front of him was a copper mirror and he almost didn't recognise his reflection. He was wearing bridal robes. What? Bridal robes. That meant...

"Oh my gosh! Am I getting married what? Where's Lan Zhan?" He almost shouted at Wen Qing. 

"Your husband-to-be is waiting at the altar." She responded happily.

He looked again at himself. His hair was beautifully and elegantly styled and his make-up tactfully applied to perfectly balance his features. His robes looked expensive - but not too expensive - just right for his taste. Yet again he began to cry, but this time it was tears of joy.

He turned to Wen Qing.

"Wen Qing..." He cried

"Stop it. Stop it now. If you dare to ruin your makeup I will stab you, wedding day or not." She teased back, hugging him and pushing him forward. She carefully draped a veil over his face before drawing away.

"Go, follow the carpet to the altar." 

If Wei Ying didn't know better, he could have sworn he could see tears in her eyes.

He continued on his way, finally rounding a corner to see what he was waiting for.

Lan Zhan.

He looked so perfect standing there waiting for him. On either side, the villagers were lined up and throwing confetti for him. He couldn't wait any longer, he ran straight into Lan Zhan's arms.

----------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note:

Sorry for leaving yet another chapter at a crucial moment. Hehe. They are getting married! What do people think is going to happen next? Apologies - I know very little about traditional chinese wedding customs so please no hate. Hope you enjoyed the chapter! Please vote and comment.