Chapter 49 + Epilogue

3rd Person POV

After the funeral, most of the clans quickly left the burial mounds and the place returned almost to its usual self. Almost. Of course the atmosphere was still morose and the place felt empty without the familiar vibrant presence of Wei Ying. Yanli and Zixuan were the only outsiders remaining in the village as Yanli wished to spend more time with her nephew and Zixuan was willing to oblige.

Lan Zhan stared on fondly as his son played with his aunt and felt sad that Wei Ying would never see such a scene. He envisioned the figure clad in his typical black robes sitting next to him, his head rested upon Lan Zhan's broad shoulders. If Wei Ying was here, they would quietly chat and cuddle, bursting with pride at there child. Then, Wei Ying would shift and Lan Zhan would carefully comb out and style Wei Ying's hair, his cold fingers would send shivers down Wei Ying's back. If Wei Ying was here. But he wasn't and he would never again be. But still Lan Zhan could long and dream.

Time was simultaneously passing slowly yet extremely fast at the same time and before he knew it it was time for change. Lan Zhan and his son left the Burial Mounds with Wei Ying's coffin and journeyed to Gusu. By now, Lan Qiren was well aware of Lan Zhan's situation and child and according to Xichen was of an improved temper in comparison to when he had originally heard the news; let's just say many of the disciples noticed a few missing tables in the library and some torn up pages from books still lingered under the shelves.

Lan Zhan was welcomed back with open arms by his brother and the sect however, he felt estranged. Perhaps Gusu was no longer his home. With Wei Ying, he had glimpsed another life and he couldn't go back. How could he tolerate the bland boring nature of the Cloud Recesses when out in the world there was so much colour to be seen? So much injustice to right? 'Wei Ying, you really have ruined me' , he thought jovially to himself.

The small family resided in Gusu for a couple of months before leaving to return to their travels. Many agreed that it was a pity to see them leave, yet they would always be welcomed back. The duo's journeys took them to the far reaches of the world, high and low. They saw scenes of wonder and scenes of terror and they grew sage and content. 

Wei Ying was finally buried next to his parents rural graves a couple of years after his death, and the family erected a quiet, simple little cottage near by. They moved between this house, the Burial Mounds and Gusu, never remaining still.

----------------------------------------------------------

EPILOGUE

Lan Zhan's POV

In life, there are not always explicit happy endings. There is not always a fairy godmother to help out when times get tough. Sometimes, life even feels so terribly unfair that you ponder the importance of living.

Even after all these years, I still long for Wei Ying. The wound is still raw but I have learned to live with the pain. My husband is not gone: my husband lives on eternally in the hearts of many. Wei Ying has shown me so much in his short time and after and thanks to him, I can appreciate the world in its true form. Everyday is truly a blessing. I shall remain eternally grateful for our time together.

A-Yuan has grown up into a fine child who is adept and thoughtful, a son to be proud of. I truly do not know whether he remembers his father, but his legacy shall remain. And when I gaze upon my son's features, a strange sensation fills me. I see his smile etched into the contours of his face, his prominent cheekbones. I see my Wei Ying deep within him. We live on as a testament to him and his sacrifices.

Although life can be hard, in life you have the power to carve out your own happy ending. He taught me that.

--------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note:

Thank you to all you lovely readers who have come on this journey with me! Please vote and comment to show your support! Next, I will hopefully complete Bridging the gap or start a new story. Out of interest, would people like to read a Yizhan fanfic or a Wangxian fanfic (or other ship couples)? Also, if anyone has any ideas of stories they would like me to write feel free to comment your suggestions. I suppose this is the end for this book, thanks again. 
-Author