Chapter 2 - The Sunshot Campaign pt2

Jiang Cheng's POV

"Jiang Cheng!! "

"Help me! Why would you leave me brother? "

"You're useless, after all this time you've not found me. No wonder you're parents died. You couldn't protect them, you couldn't protect our home and you can't protect me. How did the renowned Jiang Fengmian and Madame Yu raise such as failure!"

"No. I'm no..."

"You were always second best. Second best to a mere servants son."

"No..."

"Your parents would have preferred me as a son. I could make them proud. I have always excelled and understood the motto of the Jiang Clan better than you! Fengmian loved me more!"

"Arrgghh!!!!"

My eyes shot open. The somewhat familiar outline of my current home loomed in the weak light. It was just a dream. Just a dream, one that circulates constantly terrorising me every night. Was this dream right, was I a failure...? I can't be. No matter how resolute in my mindset there is always that nagging voice: You're weak, Wei Ying hates you, Wei Ying would be a much better clan leader - but I can't succumb to it. I will find Wei Ying. We will defeat the Wens. I will avenge my parents. We can't lose. Whatever it takes, even if we die, we will never admit defeat. We will never allow the Wens ultimate control. No matter how futile this resistance may be, the Jiang's will never retreat.

Today, Hanguang-jun and I will go to Qishan. As I had already awoken, I began to make preparations. We would leave before dawn employing the element of surprise in our attack. I didn't know what the exact time was but I guessed it was roughly 2 o'clock in the morning which gave me around 2 hours before we left. My heart raced in anticipation of what we would find. What if Wei Ying was there? What if we were too late and were met with a withered corpse? I knew that speculation was just making it worse but I couldn't help myself. 'God Wei Ying, why did you have to leave me now.' I thought to myself.

I ate a quick breakfast, nothing too substantial as it would have probably been thrown up due to my nerves. I had been on the front line many time, but it felt as though the stakes were higher today.

3rd Person POV

Soon enough, Jiang Cheng had gathered his troops (a straggly bunch of newly-recruited Jiang sect disciples) and briefed them on the plan. Once everything was ready, he led them over to the exit of the makeshift headquarters. Lan Wangji and his Lan Sect disciples were already there arranged in perfect lines, waiting calmly as though they were going to a conference with the Wens as opposed to war. Your Shixiong would probably rather stay with Wangji than you. The voice was back. How it frustrated him. Everything frustrated him. He just wanted to be back at Lotus Pier with his Shijie, curl up and pretend that all his troubles no longer existed, or to cry and have her sit with him and comfort him, holding him tight, soothing him with her sweet voice. "A-Cheng" she would say,"it's okay, you're safe. Me and A-Xian love you. We will rebuild and strengthen and overcome these challenges together". He missed his Shijie so much but she was safe away from the fighting looking after the wounded and he knew it was selfish to take her with him. 

The two leaders made eye contact - one cold and morose, one strong and harsh - gave a terse nod to one another and set off. The journey was boring and rather tiresome however neither slowed their pace. The silence was morbid and quite overwhelming both deep in thought. Jiang Cheng had never really realised how close the Lan had been with his Shixiong: sure he had joked around with Wei Ying about their relationship but it had never been that serious. Other than their shared time in Gusu, the archery event and training in Qishan and of course the Xuanwu cave, he couldn't understand when they would have communicated and become friends.

It had shocked Jiang Cheng when he saw how agitated Hanguang-jun had been at the knowledge of Wuxian's disappearance and how insistent he was on helping them search. In addition, whenever they met he would enquire over any news on him. Lan Wangji even volunteered to join Jiang Cheng in this attack which they both knew was mainly to find information on Wei Ying. It didn't matter though, whatever the Lan sought to gain, as long as it was helping them.

Eventually, Qishan could be seen emerging from the darkness. It was magnificent in a malevolent kind of way; it had huge looming arches and pillars illuminated by harsh, flickering fires and the crimson glow radiating off of the molten rocks below. A shiver crept up their backs in response and adrenaline raced with the thought of what came next.

---------------------------------------------

Author's Note: Hi, sorry this is another reasonably short chapter. As I am basing this off a mix of the live action (cql), the donghua and the novel, I have decided to include the archery competition and other details that were excluded from the live action. Still a bit slow but some more exciting chapters coming soon!