Chapter 44

3rd Person POV

The following four weeks were made to feel perfect - anything and everything that Wei Ying wanted to do or see was accommodated for. Lan Zhan even managed to take Lan Yuan and his husband on a small trip to the Lotus Pier, Lanling and the Cloud Recesses. Of course, these were done under the cover of talismans and darkness and very much from a distance, but being able to see all these important places and figures from his life gave Wei Ying a sense of closure. He observed his brother executing his sect duties, his sister happily enjoying married life and Zewujun keeping the Lan Sect in order. He felt lighter thereafter knowing that everyone seemed happy enough. 

The Wen remnants had been living in piece for years now and had built up a strong and tight-nit community that would sustain and flourish for years to come. His sister was secure and safe in a loving situation and finally able to relax. His brother was unfortunately still solitary in his travels through the world but as happy as he could be. There appeared to be no huge injustices in the world or any pressing matters to attend. He was finally free to go, to leave the world as he had raved to on so many occasions. He couldn't bear to part with his family but he knew Lan Zhan would care for them all. 

Wei Ying didn't want to leave his family like this, faces stained with the linear tracks of tears, remorseful and grateful. Even Wen Qing and A-yuan were crying. He embraced them all individually and lovingly kissed his baby's cute,fluffy cheeks that bloomed red with youth, the shining bright eyes, his creased forehead... He memorised each of his unforgettable features and hugged the child almost to the point of suffocation. Then he turned to his husband and kissed his for potentially the final time in this life. Passionate, violent, morose, desperate, longing. 

And then Wei Ying ended it and addressed them all.

"Perhaps our time together has been short, but I have found so much value in each of our moments together. Treasure it: treasure life to the fullest and make every moment count. Be courageous and selfless and remember that sometimes things are hard but clouds always pass, rain stops, storms make way for new growth. Find happiness in sadness and do right by yourselves. I love you all dearly, my family. Thank you and I'm sorry."

And with that he left. He needed to leave right then or he would never find the strength to abandon them again. He would be back. When it was destroyed, he would return. Tears spilled from his eyes as his final fake smile dropped from his tired face. 

'Goodbye', he thought.