Chapter 23

3rd Person POV

The remaining days came and went very quickly with disciples being divided up and detailed plans being communicated. Wei Ying and Lan Zhan were grouped together to lead soldiers from one side, Nie Mingjue and Lan Xichen from the front and lastly Jin Zixuan and Jiang Cheng on another. Once conquered, they would regroup at a central point just outside of Qishan's barriers before a final charge on the Nightless City. Some doctors and medics would stay behind to treat the wounded and with these also resided Yanli giving the two brothers a bit of peace.

Goodbyes were said and then they left. Yanli immersed herself in cooking, cleaning, anything to stop her tumultuous mind falling back on worrying for her brothers. Jiang Cheng fought hard and strong, clashing with Jin Zixuan on tactics and goals but overall working as well as they had ever done. Nie Mingjue had managed to behead Wen Xu, the first son of Wen Ruohan and things were looking up. 

The most successful front however was that of the renowned Hanguangjun and the famed Young Master Wei. From the start of the battles, defence was pointless. Disciples would slaughter and Hanguangjun would protect Wei Ying. In turn Wei Ying would use Chenqing to raise the corpses and force them to fight against the Wens. Huge swathes of troops were annihilated at very little cost and the fear and reputation of Wei Wuxian spread far and wide. 

The groups all managed to reconvene successfully, much faster than anticipated and only the final stretch remained. But Wei Ying could not bring himself to be happy and jovial like others. Some feasted and drank in celebration but the thought of joining made him sick. Many a time, people challenged him to duels or drinking challenges and then branded him shameful and rude when he refused. Somehow he was the bad guy for not sullying others. But no one seemed to really care and to see deeper than to challenge him. 

He had been constantly building his stamina to hold up the energy facade for longer and longer until he now never went around without it, but no one questioned it or wondered why the previously hideously crippled Wei Wuxian was now completely fine. Only Lan Zhan dared try to dissuade him and saw through the guise. 

He knew how much it mattered to Wei Ying that he wouldn't weaken others - be that through fighting or morale - but he could see the damage. Wei Ying seemed exhausted mentally from constantly having to engage with people as well as just generally melancholy. Even his sister couldn't bring him out of his morose state. 

As the day of the final battle dawned, anticipation and energy spread through the crowds of people as they began their relentless charge on Qishan, but Wei Ying was not amongst that number. He had left inexplicably late last night and hadn't returned.

For hours the battle raged long and hard with no real progress. Fatigue was building and soon the forces would have to retreat. Suddenly, everything seemed to go quiet as a shadow appeared on the roof of the main hall freezing them in their tracks. The eerie melodies of Chengqing began to disperse and without warning, the Wen soldiers began to drop to the floor dead, tortuous screams piercing the air.

It was a massacre.

The bodies were everywhere coating the floor in a thick layer of sticky blood. Finally the grand doors flew open as a maddened Ruohan ran out behind Wei Ying's form. Much to his extreme rage, he was ignored by Wei Ying as the latter confidently evaded any blows from the man's sword. 

"Wei Wuxian you scum! You bastard!", screamed Ruohan but it fell upon deaf ears as Wei Ying just continued to watch his chain of destruction. 

Ruohan aimed one last blow which seamed impossible to miss, square at Wei Ying's stomach. Below, Jiang Cheng screamed for Wei Ying to move as the cultivators gasped in shock, but nothing happened. Instead, a tendril of black smoke wrapped around the Wen carelessly pulling him next to Wei Ying.

"Now now Chief Cultivator, you really are a bit impatient. I guess I could hurry up if you want so we can get to your part a bit quicker"

Ruohan paled in a mix of humiliation and fear. He hadn't believed the stories of this man's irrefutable power but now that it was upon him, he could see the murderous intent behind the obsidian eyes. This man had destroyed almost his entire army in less than 10 minutes and yet, there wasn't even a hair out of place or a crease in his clothes. The ease was petrifying.

All of the remaining soldiers fell at once as Wei Ying turned to address his attacker.

"Master Wen, should we start your bit now?" He inquired, laughing manically.

"How does it feel knowing that all of your family are dead? That your home has been destroyed? Would you like to see what your son did to me?" 

Wei Ying tore down his facade revealing his damaged, broken form.

"Would you like to feel the pain I have felt? I'm not sure you could handle it."

Everyone watched as cuts and burn and gaping holes appeared in Wen Ruohan, listened as he convulsed and screamed in horror before Wei Ying punched through the man's chest and tore out his heart. 

It was over.

As the dark energy dispersed Wei Ying could see the worried figures of Jiang Cheng and Lan Zhan rushing towards him but before they could arrive his vision began to fade and he felt himself lose consciousness but not before he felt a pair of strong arms catch him.

"Lan Zhan don't hate me too much", he whispered.