Chapter 19

Third Person POV

As the sun began to creep below the horizon, the camp emerged slowly from the gloom. They had been struggling along for almost 4 hours and it was a welcomed sight. The disciples had already returned and news of Wei Wuxian's return had spread far and wide throughout the camp, excitement, joy and hope illuminated everyone's features in the face of the long, black night ahead. As the figures struggled slowly onwards, crowds grew and grew, rowdy with anticipation. 

The fear grew menacing in the pit of Wuxian's stomach triggering a cold sweat and alerting Wangji. He was scared of all of the people: seeing their faces fall at his haggard appearance, seeing his sister saddened by his sorry state. He didn't want their pity or their attention.

Sensing his hesitation, Lan Wangji graciously walked on ahead before dispersing the crowd and taking his position between his Shixiong and Jiang Yanli. Tearing her eyes away from her advancing brothers she bowed deeply to Wangji.

"Thank you so much Hanguang-jun for bringing back my brother. I have missed him so greatly and the idea that he was gone forever without me even saying goodbye haunted me." Said Yanli quietly.

"Hmn", he responded pulling her upright from her bows. "He is almost here".

As much as Wuxian detested it, he was too weak to summon enough dark energy to maintain a convincing cover but he couldn't help but try. It would break his sister to know that he had suffered. 

By now the pair were barely 50 meters away, features shrouded by the dimming sky and Yanli couldn't hold back anymore.

"A-Xian! A-Cheng!" She called gleefully as she took of towards them in a run. The brothers looked up as she advanced tears breaking on Jiang Cheng's face at the thought that they were all back together. They were inseparable and together they would return home to build a stronger and better Lotus Pier.

"Shijie!" Jiang Cheng yelled back in response.

On the other hand, neither had noticed the panic coursing through Wei Ying. His breathing was shallow and fast, hyperventilating. His vision blurred and dizzy. Yanli crashed into them embracing them in a warm, tight hug, repeating her soothing words, but as she looked up to take in their features, worry cascaded over her face. 

Wei Ying was dazed and him tremors had increased to incoherent jerking and twitching. His face was distorted with the effort of his silent gasps. Even though they shook him and tried to break him out of it, but nothing broke the fierce daze. His legs gave out and Jiang Cheng carefully brought him to the floor.

Yanli was crying hard, guilt engulfing her - had she been the cause of this panic attack? In a moment, before they could act Lan Wangji and his brother were at their sides. Xichen comforted and calmed them whilst Lan Zhan held Wei Ying's twitching and breathless form to his chest and ran back to the base, shouting for doctors. 

"It's okay Wei Ying. You'll be fine", he whispered under his breath, more to convince himself than to help Wei Ying.

-------------------------------------------------

Author's Note:

This is quite a short chapter but I hope you enjoyed it! Please vote and comment!