Chapter 28 - The beginning of the End

(Author's Note: i know this title sounds really negative / morbid but bear with)

3rd Person POV

The sun was still high in the sky as Wei Ying walked around Lanling and it was calming walking past faces that didn't know him and didn't judge him. With all that had happened, things had been pushed to the back of his mind and it seemed like the opening ceremony (and the kiss) from the morning were a long time ago. It was nice to once again be surrounded by the upbeat and casual atmosphere of the streets - even if said streets were paved with gold and exuded a sense of unwarranted spending. He felt he could lose himself nestled between the quaint stalls selling intricate crafts and street vendors wielding huge piles of tanghulu and sweets.

The air was filled with laughing and shouting - not aggressive merely teasing and friendly - and he watched as little kids zoomed past him, endeavouring to catch one another. The sweet innocence of youth and how Wei Wuxian longed to go back. 

The atmosphere was punctuated by a small altercation from some Jin sect guards insulting and shoving a homeless woman and Wei Ying was again drawn back to his hatred of the Jin Sect and their collective ignorance and arrogance. It was a well known factor that the sect was the wealthiest area in the country yet the wealth was wasted on trivial issues in the main family or to uphold a facade of culture. The people who lived here were no better off here than anywhere else, perhaps even worse. He knew that in Yunmeng more of an effort was made to help others.

Unable to ignore the issue, Wei Ying approached the poor woman. She was feeble and looked half starved, shivering under he thin cloak that covered her features. He went to offer a hand when the woman looked up.

His heart dropped.

Wen Qing. It was Wen Qing. But why did she look so bad? He didn't know how the Jin Clan had been treating the Wens but judging by her condition and the cruelty he observed earlier, something was definitely wrong. The war was over so why were innocent individuals still being punished?

"Lady Wen, is that you?"

He was sure of it. Her cheekbones were more pronounced, her eyebags deeper but the face was definitely hers. She weakly shook her head in acknowledgement. As much as Wei Ying wanted to continue this conversation, he reasoned that it was probably not the best place to do it in the middle of the street with actively patrolling guards.

He located a small side alley and dragged her slightly unresponsive figure in next to him.

"Where's Wen Ning? Are you alright? What happened? Is your family okay?"

But there was no answer. She just looked on vacantly. 

"Where's Wen Ning?" He tried again, "Did he come with you?"

Wen Qing was one tough Lady and seeing her in this broken state was rather concerning but he was prepared to help, he figured he owed her one. For all of the things she risked and put her family through for him and his family he would be eternally grateful. And he could not bear to think of his sweet and innocent friend - her little brother - as injured and punished when he had saved them in the campaign.

Her shaky voice was so quiet and weak he almost missed it as she answered.

"They've taken him. I don't know where but they're going to hurt him. Help me please I beg of  you."