Chapter 9

Sahil's POV

'Two weeks from now, you won't be seeing me here anymore. I am done with this.'

Those words of Hana have not left my mind from the moment I heard them. What did she mean by that? Is she going to leave me? If she were, I would understand why. Although I act like I don't care about this marriage, if Hana knew how much I cared about her, she would probably not believe it. It is a complicated story. I just knew she would be the one, but I didn't expect it to happen so fast. I guess the idea of being married to the one woman I had in my mind my whole life was a bit too strong for me. And when it finally happened, I didn't know how to react to it. I haven't been good to her. I know that more than anyone.

I first met Hana in secondary school. I was the quiet kid so it's obvious she wouldn't remember me. Then I met her in a very unfortunate situation, but she didn't recognise me, and I did not want her to recognise me. She would probably hate me if she knew who I really am. That is why I thought she deserved better than me. Perhaps the way I was acting at the beginning was to remind her that she deserves way better than me, but she did not leave, and now that she mentioned leaving, all I can think of all day is how to make her stay.

Hana had already gone into her room and I was going to go check on Sarah one more time. I noticed that Hana usually sleeps with her. I hope she hasn't gotten accustomed to that.

As I look at her, I think of what Hana told me.
'Do you know what she told me when I first met her? That her dad did not care about her and she'd rather go to the place where children without parents go. Sarah would rather go to an orphanage than stay with her father who is still alive but has no time for her.'

I see Sarah as my daughter and I always will, although it happened all of a sudden and I was only meant to protect her. Sarah has become part of my life and I would give up anything for her. But for that to happen I need to work and solve her case. I need to find justice for her mother's murder before giving her the normal life she deserves.

"I will not fail you like I failed your mother... I promise." I whisper before kissing her forehead.

'The famous lawyer with the 100% winning percentage' they say. If they knew how much I wished I hadn't won that one trial. Only one less victory would have saved me from living like this right now.

Before going to my room, I go to the kitchen to pour Hana a cup of water and grab the medicine I bought for her. Her grandma said she needed it whenever she entered this state of panic. She told me that Hana becomes frightened all of a sudden which triggers a state of panic and it does not leave her until she had taken the medicine.

As I enter her room, I hear her speak. It seemed like she was having a nightmare. I leave the cup and the medicine on top of the bedside table as she turns from one side of the bed to the other.

"Nadia, Nadia, don't leave me." I heard her say and my eyes close shut as if I had just been hit by a bullet as soon as I heard the name she mentioned. "No... No!" Hana repeated, each time seemingly more frightened.

I try to wake her up as I notice her breathing quicken. "Hana," I call her as I sit on the edge of the bed. "You need to take your medicine."

"No... No! No!" Hana says as she continues to dream and I notice a tear slide down her cheek right before she gasped in shock. I could imagine what part of the dream she was on.

Her eyes open wide as she screams "No!" and she places her hand on her chest, feeling her accelerated heartbeat. She hadn't noticed my presence yet as she sat up straight on the bed and sobbed. I could notice how she slowly panicked. From her fast breathing to her shaky hands, which she could barely control.