Chapter 17

Hana's POV

"I just came from a meeting with your boyfriend and_"

"Ex-boyfriend." Miss Elsie, Mr Andrew's girlfriend, interrupts me as she looks around the room, I guess searching for cameras.

"As you can see, Mr Aasim isn't here. You are free to talk." I tell her as I point to the chair in front of me.

Since Miss Elsie refused to meet at Sahil's law firm, I arranged us a quiet place at a café where we can speak comfortably. So far by observing Miss Elsie, I can see that she is not at ease around people. It's as if she is looking around for somebody.

"Why did you call me here?"

"It's about Mr Andrew's case. I know you are going to witness against him and deny the fact that you were together at the store an hour after he left Mr Smith's house."

"The truth has to be told. He lied, I was never with him."

"You are absolutely right. The truth has to be told. I believe you will tell nothing but the truth, because other than, it would count as perjury, which can gain a person six months to two years in jail and a fine."

"If you are here to to call me a lier, then I'm leaving." She gets up with her bag.

"How many years were you together?" I ask, noticing her stone cold expression. Perhaps I should approach this differently. She doesn't seem to be phased by the consequences of breaking the law.

"What?" She pauses, but does not take her seat.

"You and Mr Andrew. How long were you together?"

"Not long."

"How long?" I insist. She sighs before responding.

"Two years."

"No wonder he was going to do that." I look down as I speak, somewhat quietly, but I still make sure she can hear me.

"Do what?"

"Sit down, please." I ask, now that I gained her attention. "He was going to give you a beautiful ring along with a marriage proposal," I respond once she was sat down. She remained silent for longer than I expected her to. I wait for her to talk, but she doesn't. All she does is look down, her stone-cold expression fading away, bringing out the vulnerable side of her.

I decide to let her have a moment while I call the waiter to get us two coffees. Maybe it will help her see this as a more of a friendly meeting.

"Mr Andrew told us that your mother isn't well. He wanted me to ask you how she is doing." I say, but she once again does not respond. "Okay, so I guess we can start with the questions now," I speak while she took a sip out of her coffee. I noticed how her hands were shaking while she held the cup. "You say that you were not with Mr Andrew at the store the day of the car theft. May I ask you where were you at that time? Nine o'clock at night on the fourth of September?"

"I was at the hospital with my mum."

"So the visiting hours were not yet closed?"

"I was an exception. A friend of mine works there and he allowed me to stay until his shift was over so he could give me a ride back home."