Chapter 24

Hana's POV

"Are you still looking at that picture?" I question when I notice Sahil's concentration on my phone screen again. "You've already sent the number for it to be tracked, let's wait and see." I walk to Sahil's desk to grab my phone from him.

It's been almost a week since I found out that Nadia was alive. On that night, I received a message from a number that was not saved in my contacts. In the message, there was a picture of Sarah of the day she went to the park with my mum. We were supposed to have gone out this weekend, but we did not because I was afraid Sarah would be in danger. Yes, I refused this time, not Sahil. I'm also surprised how quickly we changed roles.

"We need to be in the courtroom in one hour. Do you know how bad it will look if we're late?"

"You're nervous again?" Sahil asks, knowingly. He gets up to grab his suit jacket as I mentally rehearse the questions I would be asking the witnesses. "This is your chance to prove to me that you can work on Sarah's case."

"Thank you for putting pressure on me," I speak sarcastically, gaining a smile from Sahil.

He walks to me, gently holding my face in between his hands. "You'll be fine. I believe in you." He affirms. I lightly nod as I force a small smile. "C'mon, let's go."  Sahil opens the door for me and I leave ahead to find Melody stood up with her jacket on and her bag. Is she going somewhere?

"Are we leaving now?" Melody questions Sahil.

"I thought I mentioned that I would be doing this case with Hana." Sahil reminds her. Melody's eyes immediately land on me.

"Oh, great. It must have slipped my mind. Good luck with the trial." Melody gives me a smile, which was obviously fake.

***

I look towards the benches for the public and find Miss Elsie, who gives me a smile when our eyes meet. I'm still not sure whether she will be for us or against us in this trial.

"All rise. The crown court is now in session. Judge Danielle presiding, please be seated." I take a deep breath once I hear the Bailiff's announcement.

"Good morning ladies and gentlemen. Calling the case of Andrew versus Smith. Are both sides ready?"

"Ready Your Honour." Mark, the prosecutor responds.

"Ready for the defence Your Honour." Sahil responds.

The Clerk then makes us swear to tell the truth and only the truth, before we proceed to the opening statement.

Mark stands up to give his opening statement against the defendant, meanwhile, Sahil passed a folder to me. I look at it to find it to be the results from the forensic scientist. The fingerprints of Mr Andrew were in the passenger seat on Mr Smith's car, but not the driver's seat. On the folder, there was also a receipt that Sahil was able to retrieve from the time Mr Andrew went to the store. No wonder Sahil was not phased at all by this court trial. It's almost as if he knew he had everything handled.

Sahil stood up once Mark was done with his opening statement.

"Your Honour and ladies and gentlemen of the jury. By the law, my client is assumed innocent until proven guilty.  During this trial, there will be no real evidence against my client. You will come to know that my client never drove the car he is being charged of theft for. You will also have evidence of the whereabouts of my client at the time that this supposed car theft was taking place."

"The prosecution may call its first witness." The Judge declared once Sahil was done with his statement.

"The prosecution calls the owner of the car." Mark announces and the Bailiff brings Mr Smith to the witness stand. "Where do you work?"