Chapter 20

Hana's POV

I wake up feeling unrested, although I slept extremely early last night. I remember going to console Sarah. She was crying after Liliana's remark. Alhamdulillah, I managed to get a smile from her after a while of explaining that I would never leave her because I love her like a mother would love her child.

When I went to check on Sarah after getting ready, I realise she was no longer on her bed. I find her in the kitchen on top of a small stool, helping her dad make breakfast. I silently walk to her so she wouldn't notice and I playfully tickle her, making her giggle. I then pick her up and go around in circles with her as she continues to giggle.

"Good morning mum," Sarah speaks with her cute little voice. The word 'mum' still catches me by surprise every time I hear it, yet I still love the way it sounds in my ears, coming from Sarah.

I give her a kiss on her cheek, then another and many more around her face as she starts to giggle again.

"How are you, princess? Did you sleep well?" I ask her and she nods while giving me her one million pounds worth smile.

"Yes." She says while nodding her head.

From the corner of my eye, I could notice Sahil's eyes on me. Yesterday, when the girls left, Yasmine did not let me do any cleaning up. She forced me to stay with Sarah while she tidied up the dining room. Shazia offered to help while asking what had happened in the living room and why was I yelling. I did not want to talk about it so I avoided her question until she left. She texted me last night apologising, but I did not reply. I guess she found out from her sister what had happened. Shazia may have changed and she might be more friendly than the others, but I just don't think I want anything to do with any of them anymore. At least for now. I need a break from all that happened.

Sahil had tried to speak to me when Yasmine left, but I didn't give him the chance. I went to put Sarah to sleep and I ended up falling asleep with her. I only came to my room after I prayed Fajr and Sahil did not try to speak about last night again.

"Assalamu Aleykum," I finally direct a word to Sahil while Sarah wrapped her legs around my waist.

"Wa Aleykumu Salam."

"My mum is coming," I tell him as I remember asking Sarah yesterday what could I do to make it up to her. She wanted my mum to come spend the day with her again because she enjoyed their day yesterday.

Sahil nods in response. Soon after, we hear the doorbell ring.

"It's grandma!" Sarah screams. When I drop her to the floor, she runs to the living room.

"Are you sure you can go to work today?" Sahil asks me. I work on my best smile before turning to face him.

"Yes. I'm fine." I respond. I gain the courage to step towards him and wrap my arms around him in an embrace. It wasn't for him, I needed a hug. Not from anyone else but from Sahil alone. When he hugs me back, making me rest my head on his chest as his hand went through my back, giving me a sense of comfort and security, I realise why his hug was the only one I needed. The only thing that stopped me from crying was knowing that he was with me.

Unfortunately, we had to part at some point. I look up to find his eyes already on me. He gives me a gentle and passionate kiss on my forehead before we parted at the sound of my mum's and Sarah's laughter.

They enter the kitchen with my mum carrying Sarah up as they talk amongst themselves. Whatever it is, it must be very funny. Sarah won't stop laughing.

***
"Sahil," I smile as he playfully steps closer. He insisted I stayed home for today, but I refused. I'm glad I refused because now he is giving me way more attention than he usually does. "We are supposed to be working." I remind him, but the smile wouldn't leave my face as he revolved his arms around my waist.