ink

Canada stood on the porch of Britain's house, facing the street. He'd been standing there for hours, doing nothing but waiting for his half-brother to come back.

A carriage pulled up to the house. A tall man stepped out.

"Father!"

Canada rushed towards Britain, who smiled upon seeing his oldest son.  

"Canada, my dear." His voice was raspy and his blue eyes were tired, but Britain was still joyous in a good mood.

He paused for a moment, pondering whether or not to tell his father about what happened to 13. Britain would find out anyways. There was no point in hiding it.

"13 ran off."

"I do beg your pardon?"

"He's gone. He got upset because-"

Canada paused. He couldn't tell Britain that 13's flag was changing, and becoming different.

"Because of the taxes?" Britain suggested.

"Yeah, yeah. That's it." Canada sighed. "On another note, your daughter is visiting."

"New Zealand? But she's with her mother, Maori and Australia."

"Not kiwi. Acadia. Do you remember her?"

His father's face was twisted in looks of sadness as he searched his memories for his daughter, Acadia.

"I can't remember my own daughter." Britain's face was full of sadness.

"Well then, come inside and meet her!"

Canada lead Britain inside the two-story house, and up the stairs. 

"Acadia! Viens rencontrer ton père!" (acadia! come meet your father!)

He called for his sister, who shyly peeked out at the people standing in the front hallway.

"Why are you calling her in french?" Britain asked. "Can't you call her in english?"

Canada winced slightly.

Britain didn't speak a word of french. There was no lingua franca either. 

Acadia walked down the stairs.

"Es-tu mon père?" (are you my father?)

Britain seemed to understand that the question was directed at him, and what she was asking.

"Oui," was his response. It was one of the few french words that he understood.

"Père!" Acadia's face burst into a smile, and she ran to hug her father. "Je t'ai cherché si longtemps! Où étais-tu, durant toute ma vie?" (I've been looking for you for so long! Where have you been all my life?)

Britain fell silent. His blue eyes watered. He wanted so desperately to know his new daughter, to love her, and to be a good father. But he did not speak her language.

"Père?" (father?)

A tear shed from Canada's eye. He just wanted his family to be happy.

"J'ai suis désolé... mon fille. Je... je ne parlais francais." (i have am sorry, my daughter. i... i don't speak french)

His french was choppy, and he got a few words wrong. But the message got through to Acadia, who was also in tears.

"Do you speak english?" Britain questioned, his voice desperate.

"I... have no speak my english," her voice shook.

Both father and daughter seemed very sad at this occurrence.