message

Massachusetts flipped through the pages of Common Sense, making the odd remark here and there.

"What are you doing with that, Massachusetts?" Maryland pondered, bending down to read over his shoulder. "You can't even read it!"

"I know, Maryland," Massachusetts sighed, throwing it over his shoulder. It hit Maryland in the face. "America's gonna teach me soon."

Maryland sighed. "This is an important pamphlet, Mass." She handed it back to him.

He frowned, squinting at the cover. "Strange symbols, eh?"

"Yeah," She nodded.

"Alright, colonies." America slammed his palms down on the table.

"Ooh!" Georgia clapped her hands once. "Are we doing it?"

He nodded. Virginia let loose a squeal.

From behind America, Confederate slipped a stack of slightly yellowed papers beside the ink jar and quill that already were there.

"Now." America started. "What are we going to write to my father?"

Maryland raised her hand.

"Yes, Maryland?" America asked.

"We should write a strongly-worded letter asking for our rights, freedoms, and for the love of god, those taxes off." Her expression drew more angry as she went on. "These are basic things. Britain can't refuse them."

"He can and he will." Lina butted in. "He's not going to give us anything if we're being polite. We've already tried that."

"Yeah!" Delaware added. "We would need a war to prove we're capable of being on our own!"

"And we could invade Quebec and get our land back!" Massachusetts cheered.

"No, no!" America sighed. "We are trying to avoid war here, ladies and gentlemen. A war against the British? We simply won't succeed with it."

A silence dawned upon the room.

"Instead of writing to Britain," Georgia interrupted. "We could write to somebody else."

"Complaining to Prussia won't set us free." America pinched the bridge of his nose.

His flag was completely stripped of the union jack that had once marred it. Thirteen stars, one for each colony, hovered above his head, glowing faintly.

"Yeah. But what about France?" New Jersey suggested, confident in tone. "She hates Britain. There's no way she'd pass up a chance to fight him."

America rubbed his chin. "That actually might just work. Do all of you guys think that she would? I need a majority here."

Most of the colonies, excluding Massachusetts, murmured amongst themselves. Eventually, Maryland said; "We think that it's a great idea!"

"What about you, Massachusetts? Should we ask France?" America pointed to him.

Massachusetts was still puzzling over Common Sense, holding it upside-down with one hand. "What?" He asked. "What did you say?"

"Do you think we should ask France for help?" He repeated.

"Yeah, I guess." Massachusetts nodded. "It's a pretty good idea."

"Excellent!" America clapped once. "Maryland? You take Virginia, Delaware, New York, New Hampshire, New Jersey, and you'll all write a letter to France, asking for her help and support. Massachusetts, Connecticut, Caro, Lina, Georgia, Confederate and I will write a letter to Britain requesting our independence."

Maryland nodded, bringing the colonies assigned to her to the living room floor, with paper, quill, and ink.  

"Alright, guys." Connecticut began. "What are we writing?"

There was a gap, where silence filled in the chatter of their group. 

"Let's start with the date," Caro picked up her quill, dating the paper Thursday, July fourth, seventeen seventy six.

"Dear Britain," Her voice echoed what she wrote.

"Let's start with; The thirteen colonies strongly request our independence, or we will have to wage war against you." Confederate suggested.

"That won't work." America pointed out. "Strongly requesting things hasn't worked in the past, and it most certainly won't work right now. I like the idea of giving him a threat." 

"So do I!" Massachusetts cackled.

"But if we threaten him, then won't he cut off trade?" Confederate raised one eyebrow. "That doesn't seem like the smartest idea either."

"I have a wonderful idea!" Lina snapped. "We give him a veiled threat, and declare our independence afterwards."

"That's truly a splendid idea!" Georgia grinned at her.

"I like it," Connecticut nodded.

"Nobody cares what you like," Caro scoffed.

"Hey!" Lina snapped at her sister. "Don't be mean to Connecticut! He's perfectly wonderful."

"Yeah, says the colony who eats oysters dipped in vodka." Caro groaned. "You have shockingly low standards."

"Stop arguing!" America separated. "Arguing won't write us a letter to Britain."

Massachusetts eyed the paper, which sat unguarded on the table.

He snatched it, dipping the tip of the quill in the blackness, and he began to scratch the tip of it on the parchment.

It didn't take much skill to do what he did. 

But when he was finished, he was satisfied, and maybe even a little proud.

"Hey guys!" Maryland pranced over to them. "We're done with our letter, how about you guys- oh my god!" She gasped after leaning over Massachusetts' shoulder, and seeing what he had done.

"What is it, Maryland?" America pushed her aside. 

When his eyes brushed upon the paper, he let out a wild chuckle.

"You know, Mass?" America patted the colony on the shoulder. "Even though you can't read or write, I think that you've conveyed a better message than anyone else in this household could."

---

Britain sat at the table, awaiting his breakfast by fidgeting with his fork.

"Hey, Britain." Wales walked up behind him. "You've got mail."

"Another letter from that French bas-" He started.

"13, Confederate, Massachusetts, Connecticut, y'know, the lot of them." She slipped the envelope in front of his face.

Britain snatched it from her.

He slid his nail under the seal, sending small bits of scarlet wax all over his suit.

"What does it say?" Wales questioned, her wings fluttering in anticipation.

"It's dated Thursday, July fourth, seventeen seventy six..." He nearly choked on his spit at what he saw below.

"Britain?" Wales rubbed his back. "What is it?"

"It's just a drawing of a penis," He gaped.

It wasn't that detailed, or good in general. But it sent a message.

"How appalling!" She gasped. 

"It says Dearest Britain, F-word you." He spat.

Britain crumpled up the letter, handing it to Wales.

"Toss this in the fire." He snarled. "I'm going to go have a tantrum. Please excuse me."